How many like setting up/improving more than having a tank?

dportero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found myself in a slump of enthusiasm for keeping tanks. I have been an avid hobbyist for 8 years with many freshwater and saltwater tanks. Recently though I have lost the drive I used to have. I have realized that I have more enthusiasm when I have new tanks to set up, or improvements to make. When the tanks are stable they become boring to me.

Is this something that others experience? Basically you like building up a system more than actually having the system

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it is about the build. I have lots of ideas, but no space to build them.

I will probably never upgrade the reef, but I have rebuilt the sump.

I recently pulled two systems I had apart, but still have interest in a small reef jar or similar on my desk.

My reef still has spaces to fill though, so there is always something I can add.

Upvote 0

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the build more then keeping the tank lol I just love seeing it come together

Upvote 0

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the build, but I really enjoy once the tank reaches almost auto pilot status. Scrape the glass once a week, fill up the ATO, feed the fish, 20% water change every 3ish weeks, test alk 2 times per week and just watch it grow. Sure at this point there is still 5 min of work a day but its just enough to keep me connected and observant of what is going on to notice little things.

Upvote 0

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, WHAT?! You mean we're not supposed to keep fiddling with the setup. Well at least now I have something to blame any and all problem issues on. Can we call this obsession an addiction and have the costs covered by insurance? ;Playful

Upvote 0

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a reef tank is doing really well one can always fiddle around with it to achieve 'even greater perfection', which then often causes issues...boredom problem solved! ;) This might sound funny, but even very seasoned reefers can fall into this sometimes and I admit that I'm no exception :).

I tend to keep systems running for a decade or more and there are times when the 'Now what?' question arises. We all handle this differently, but I find that adding something new once in a while helps keep my enthusiasm up. While I understand the allure of staring a new system every once in a while to 'Keep it fresh', having had multiple saltwater aquariums over the last 4 decades the idea of starting a new one just isn't all that appealing (to me).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found myself in a slump of enthusiasm for keeping tanks. I have been an avid hobbyist for 8 years with many freshwater and saltwater tanks. Recently though I have lost the drive I used to have. I have realized that I have more enthusiasm when I have new tanks to set up, or improvements to make. When the tanks are stable they become boring to me.

Is this something that others experience? Basically you like building up a system more than actually having the system
I will trade places with you. I am so frustrated with setting up my tank due to multiple leaks.

Upvote 0

o-townFLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a tinkerer myself... why buy, when you can make...

DIY Algae Scrubber

AE19AC58-5067-41B5-9628-7CA30FC301B5.jpeg

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back