How many mls of core 7 does your tank use each day ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List size of aquarium, water volume and coral load.
I have a total volume of 100 gallons in a 125 gallon tank loaded mostly with medium to large sized stony colonies. Currently using 33 mls core 7 / day
upload_2019-3-15_12-20-59.png

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
List size of aquarium, water volume and coral load.
I have a total volume of 100 gallons in a 125 gallon tank loaded mostly with medium to large sized stony colonies. Currently using 33 mls core 7 / day
upload_2019-3-15_12-20-59.png
Thanks for sharing and I'm very interested to see what others experience. Would you happen to know your daily dKH demand/consumption?

OP
OP
Tombones

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pluikens, I don't really know. Maybe someone has a formula. I guess I could turn off my doser for 24 hrs and take a reading but not the most desirable way to find out. Lol.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many. Lol. My sps dominant 165g is sucking down about 70-80 mls per day and counting.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pluikens, I don't really know. Maybe someone has a formula. I guess I could turn off my doser for 24 hrs and take a reading but not the most desirable way to find out. Lol.
I know! I wish Triton would publish a calculator based on alk demand since this is how they suggest regulating your dosage amount. Their suggestion of starting with 2ml/100L is basically asking not to dose for a day since that's a quarter of what you dose or more so for @CMO when the initial dose suggestion is 1/6 what is needed for that tank. Thanks for this thread and photos to accompany each user's post would be helpful. For anyone with an established tank growing at least some LPS and SPS, it seems like 4 ml/100L is a safe starting point. Thanks again!

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a RSR525XL, 525 liters (140 gal) of total volume, with probably 100 gal. of water once sand and rock are accounted for. I'm at the point where my uptake is increasing in a mixed, but SPS dominant 9 month old tank with a fast growing clam. I just upped my daily dose to 19.5 ml of Core 7, but I suspect I'll end up higher shortly.

On a side note, I also just shut off part 1 due to my Magnesium continuing to rise despite already being at a lower dose than the other 3. Anyone else have this issue?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience there are two big factors in core 7 consumption - PH and nutrient levels, both of which significantly increased my core 7 dos when elevated. So adding PH and nutrient levels to this discussion is probably advisable. A Triton tank running lower PH around say 7.8-8.0 and very low undetectable nutrients will consume far less core 7 than a tank running higher PH 8.1-8.3 and low but detectable nutrients (no3 & Po4). I know this from personal experience by adding a CO2 scrubber and NO3/PO4 dosing to my Triton tank.

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I tracked this down correctly, just not sure if that's Core7 or not:
Yes that is correct (rough estimate)
the person dosing 70-80 ml a day you might be loosing about half of your dosing to precipitation your consumption is almost 3 dkh a day that’s a lot I would shut down your dosing for a day and see what your tank is actually consuming and go from there
Sounds scary but if your at 8 dkh and u stop dosing for a day the lowest it can be will be 6 dkh which is fine
Or you can cut the dose in half or thirds and see where you are at
Just seems like a lot to me and everyone I have seen dosing that much later found out they could dose half as much

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is correct (rough estimate)
the person dosing 70-80 ml a day you might be loosing about half of your dosing to precipitation your consumption is almost 3 dkh a day that’s a lot I would shut down your dosing for a day and see what your tank is actually consuming and go from there
Sounds scary but if your at 8 dkh and u stop dosing for a day the lowest it can be will be 6 dkh which is fine
Or you can cut the dose in half or thirds and see where you are at
Just seems like a lot to me and everyone I have seen dosing that much later found out they could dose half as much

I hear you. Sounds like a lot but I really don't think it's due to precipitation. I dose into very high flow with all dosing done in very small increments and spaced out more than required. The big spike in consumption came when I increased PH to 8.2+ and started dosing NO3 and PO4. My consumption without the CO2 scrubber and NO3/PO4 dosing was considerably less. I don't think my SPS would appreciate a 2 dkh swing in one day so definitely not going to test it. lol

But I do agree it seems higher than most and if it is due to precipitation I'd like to figure that out asap! Maybe I'll shut it down for 1/4 day to test :)

Last edited:

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Just read an article that said PH 8.20+ can cause precipitation so maybe I am experiencing precipitation from run high PH. I didn't realize it could occur that low.

OP
OP
Tombones

Tombones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on Triton users, there has to be more than just 3 of us. I am seriously trying to find out if my tanks usage is over the top or/and is it going to continue to go through the roof as the corals fill my tank. Thanks for your response in advance.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
F5E0FE88-6425-43F1-BD14-1802512A75B4.jpeg
I have roughly 300 gallons sps tank. Currently using 31.5 ml/day.
Alk- 7.7
Phosphate- almost undetectable
Nitrate- 5
Ph 7.96-8.19

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on Triton users, there has to be more than just 3 of us. I am seriously trying to find out if my tanks usage is over the top or/and is it going to continue to go through the roof as the corals fill my tank. Thanks for your response in advance.
Well 33 ml for a 100 gallon tank is somewhere around 1.7 dkh consumption looking at your photo that’s about right u have some colonize in there

I was up to 38ml on 100 gallons when things were going right but as things go in this hobby I hit a brick wall of cyno after for some silly reason I tried cleaning my sandbed and then dropped it back down to 22 ml (god I love my alk monitor)

I just added 50 gallon frag tank taking me up to 150 ish gallons so I’m going to dose 1 dkh of kalk a day and make up the rest with the triton until I’m dosing 30ml of triton a day then I’ll dose more kalk then I’ll prolly go calcium reactor route with icp testing every month to make sure everything is still on track

I bought the big jugs of triton but I want them to last me a year

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, I also just shut off part 1 due to my Magnesium continuing to rise despite already being at a lower dose than the other 3. Anyone else have this issue?
Yes, I dose slightly less part 1 due to minor mag elevation and significantly less part 2 due to very high calcium levels (600+) with equal dosing.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I dose slightly less part 1 due to minor mag elevation and significantly less part 2 due to very high calcium levels (600+) with equal dosing.
How old is you tank?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is you tank?

About 14 months now. I was dosing equal parts with good levels of cal and mag until about 2 months ago when they started to get out of line. Here's some photos from this morning for stocking level reference.

IMG_20190317_094004.jpg

IMG_20190317_093312.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is you tank?
Curious why you ask about the age of the tank? What do you think is the correlation between age and unequal uptake? As i mentioned, my tank is technically only 9 months old, but it was seeded with sand, rock and chaeto from my previous tank that had been up nearly 3 years, so it's microbiological age is greater than that of a freshly started 9 month old tank. My Mg uptake has been off for most of the 9 months.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because mine was the same way pretty much same thing as yours was old rocks and everything but it wasn’t using all four equally I continued to dose all equally as the calcium can’t go higher then 625 I think and although high it’s not bad and the mg wouldn’t go higher then 1650???? I think I don’t remember

after about a year and a half they all started up taking at the same rate

I don’t know the correlation at all I just know it happened to me

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back