How many of us have a budget setup for reefing?

Anybody have one of these for reefing?

• Savings account

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Piggy bank

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Impulse spending

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Under the bed

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 18 28.6%

• Total voters

Titleist1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No budget just buy what I want but equipment I usually buy used as my entire setup is now. If I need a major purchase I do ask the wife if it’s alright but that’s about it.
I agree, my only thought was dumping all that money into something I wasn't sure I'd enjoy.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My budget build story

Let's begin, $400 tank and stand, $20 - 75g sump from local reefer, thanks Joy! $200 skimmer, $100 various plumbing pieces for return and bean animal. I also borrowed from the previous 90g plumbing. $50 NIB 2000gph ghost overflow. $75 xf150 gyre, whatever 2 bags of live sand cost. Rocks were "free" they came from a previous 90 gallon I was upgrading from. Lights 185x3 =$555 SB reef extreme black boxes, $25 smart micro ATO from friend at lfs.

Total Startup: $1500-$1600 give or take a few dollars of course.

Water to fill the tank came from a local reefers sump. He asked for $150 but I gave him $250 for his time filling his trucks 300g water container and driving to my house pumping it in my display. The crap show at that stage making that much water and mixing it just wasn't gonna work for me.. lol.

I'm still using the heater I got with it today.. have backups but nonetheless it is still the original with the tank when I bought it 4yrs ago, rebooted March 2020.

Picture of Tank today

20220407_152408.jpg

I moved a bunch to go SPS only on the right and that's a work in progress that started January 2022. I still buy things used if I can assuming the item checks all the boxes I need it to depending on severity of need I'll buy new.. T5 bulb replacements, etc.

I maintain the tank as low budget and maintenance as possible. Coming from 32g > 90g > 250g simple is the only thing that ever got me results. Once I try to get all smart about something I soon fail somewhere else I wasn't looking as a result of overcomplicating something else

Kasa wifi smart strips, inkbird 308 heating controller, 2 cups of carbon hanging in a mesh bag and a sulfur denitrator using limewater only to replace cal/alk, done. It's not a tank of the month, or even day, but I like it =)

OP
OP
The Farmer

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking good
My budget build story

Let's begin, $400 tank and stand, $20 - 75g sump from local reefer, thanks Joy! $200 skimmer, $100 various plumbing pieces for return and bean animal. I also borrowed from the previous 90g plumbing. $50 NIB 2000gph ghost overflow. $75 xf150 gyre, whatever 2 bags of live sand cost. Rocks were "free" they came from a previous 90 gallon I was upgrading from. Lights 185x3 =$555 SB reef extreme black boxes, $25 smart micro ATO from friend at lfs.

Total Startup: $1500-$1600 give or take a few dollars of course.

Water to fill the tank came from a local reefers sump. He asked for $150 but I gave him $250 for his time filling his trucks 300g water container and driving to my house pumping it in my display. The crap show at that stage making that much water and mixing it just wasn't gonna work for me.. lol.

I'm still using the heater I got with it today.. have backups but nonetheless it is still the original with the tank when I bought it 4yrs ago, rebooted March 2020.

Picture of Tank today

20220407_152408.jpg

I moved a bunch to go SPS only on the right and that's a work in progress that started January 2022. I still buy things used if I can assuming the item checks all the boxes I need it to depending on severity of need I'll buy new.. T5 bulb replacements, etc.

I maintain the tank as low budget and maintenance as possible. Coming from 32g > 90g > 250g simple is the only thing that ever got me results. Once I try to get all smart about something I soon fail somewhere else I wasn't looking as a result of overcomplicating something else

Kasa wifi smart strips, inkbird 308 heating controller, 2 cups of carbon hanging in a mesh bag and a sulfur denitrator using limewater only to replace cal/alk, done. It's not a tank of the month, or even day, but I like it =)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$600!?!??!?!!?
I spent like 100 on my 10g. (no livestock included)
Well... Tank, sand, rocks, ato (that was $120 on its own), salt, heater (and backup heater), powerhead (and backup powerhead), filter media, test kits, salinity meter, digital thermometer. This is my first sw tank so I had to buy everything and I literally did that in one day. Plus I'm in Canada so everything is 5x the cost (or so it seems). Actually looking at that list it was probably more than $600. LOL Then came the livestock and apparently I don't believe in a budget for that either. Haha.

Edit: I forgot one of the most impotant pieces... the light. I originally bought an $80 black box light that wasn't worth the $80 so then spent about $175 on a use AI Prime 16. The more I think about it I am probably $1k into just the hardware/tank for my 5g. Having said that everything was bought new except for the Prime light so it's not like I bargained hunted for used stuff or had stuff from other sw tanks I could reuse. I'm glad I didn't keep the receipts. :)

Last edited:

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppose i'm in a small group. I bought the last tank off of a fellow reefer, only as it was a good deal and not ever used. I bought one MP10 used, always made a little noise. Then back to my normal buying, new. I'm not against used, just at a place in my life where I want stuff to work out of the box, no issues. After living a decent life I am also in a place where I can afford to buy new. Not saying I can buy part of Twitter, just can afford what I want. And I only buy what I believe adds actual value to me (easier) or benefits good husbandry practices.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of putting together a frag tank and I understand completely how the total would reached $600 for a 5g.
show us the 5g beauty
Here's the most recent pic. This thread has made me realize how much I've spent on this tank (not including the livestock). Haha. One of these days I will learn to take a proper photo of this tank. :)

Attachments

• 20220323_121053_HDR_compress18.jpg
    20220323_121053_HDR_compress18.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 29

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's free it's for me. I am handy so if I find it for free on craigslist, local group, side of the road, etc.. I grab it. If I can fix it and don't need it I trade, sell, or give it away. Everything reef related I sell goes into an account for aquarium supplies.

Top189h

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it all on a budget, I don't buy the fanciest coral and do my best to run a low tech system. It used to be what I didn't spend going racing in the winter time went towards the tank unless I needed something for the race cars. Now, where I teach, there is a massive shortage of substitutes and when they pull teachers to cover a class during their planning period, they get 90 dollars an hour. So now, I leave the other money strictly for race car related needs and use my money from covering classes to buy things.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Unfortunately with the way prices are headed, I would think that if some don't have a budget now... they may soon. Best of luck to all :) This has never been a "cheap" hobby but it sure was more affordable

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank system is what I would call a budget build because it's assembled with 25 years of stuff.
My sump is a 20 gallon L that I bought 25 years ago. My fuge is a 30 gallon XH tank that was my 1st seahorse tank. My display is an Aqueon rimmed 56 gallon with stand that I added trim work to and repainted.

My overflow is a HOB overflow box and everything is soft plumbed. I have a 10 year old power head and probably 8 years ago I replaced my 2nd hand Mag drive 9.5 return pump with a Jabao variable speed return pump. I just upgraded to LED lights a month and a half ago but only because it's impossible to find 30" HOT5 bulbs.

I did replace my ancient heater with 2 new ones because I know heaters are notorious for sticking on and boiling a tank.

I still use my ancient swing arm hydrometer.

OP
OP
The Farmer

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving all the reply’s. My budget includes the oh shh** moments, when u spring a leak need a replacement tank, need another heater if you don’t have a back up, hire a tank sitter, a moving company when the new behemoth shows up and so forth. Even includes construction budget for an upgrade.

CRD23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set a monthly budget. Stop discretionary spend the day it hits ceiling. Carryover the excess to next month. My tank is still new, and this seems to be working . Need a lot more equipment to make maintenance easier. It looks like it will be at a stead pace.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people who ask budget questions about reefing should be beaten and left in a corner somewhere. Only because it reminds me how much money I’ve given away!! But I love it though. Kudos to those who actually have a savings set aside for reefing! I’m jelly.

zpete3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehe the only budget tank I've managed to create is my 10g AIO. I already had the upgraded return pump, radion xr15, live rock, coral frags, cleanup crew, critters, testing gear, the works. So I think to myself dang this was only $200! Still wrong but if I already have it, it must be free?

For reference I have a dual 180g system that has drained what I used to call my savings account...

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of us have a budget setup for reef maintenance or new purchase?
there are a few choices,
pick one and and let us know the thought process it took to decide on a budget.
i have a small savings account setup for my reef, beside the maintenance it keeps growing for a future tank upgrade.
Nope, if I need it I just buy it :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back