How many of you are using (or would use) powerhead shields made to look more like live rock in your tanks?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was poking around today, and I got to thinking about using rock inserts to hide wavemakers. Who is using them? How have you liked them? If you don't use them, would you?

2.jpg

3.jpeg

MelReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don’t see the point in trying. Seems like a lot of work for something that doesn’t matter. I’m fine with mine at the back wall. Blends in nicely with the black. Now if I needed to get flow somewhere in the back of my tank where detritus was building up I might consider trying something like that.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I could incorporate it into my rock work then yes, but, keeping rocks from my glass on purpose I couldn’t make them “blend” in. So for my current tank it would be a No.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had a tank where I used the tunze stream rocks to hide some powerheads near the bottom of my tank. I set them on a wavemaker and used them to kick up my detritus every hour in some of my dead spots in the tank. I stopped using them after I switched to my mp40s and found the nutrient export mode/reef crest was able to eliminate those dead spots. Ultimately, I had no complaints and thought they worked well :)!

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Powerheads are behind my rockwork thankfully so I can barely see them so not currently. Like others have said, I'd want the rock to blend into the current rockwork, not have a random piece sticking out of the glass!

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deal a lot with installed sound, and I'm not a fan of the fake rock look. I'd rather have an unobtrusive object that blends with surroundings like this:
HARMAN NOBU1.JPG

Than trying to put in obviously fake rock.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I was using wave makers, I'm using gyres, and they were visible I'd consider it. but I'd modify them somehow so the face of the wave maker wasn't visible. (recessed) I planned my aquascape to hide pumps, heaters, returns and the overflow box.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I tried this a few years back and found that it restricted some of the intake flow while securing powerhead

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately with thick walls on a big tank the magnets probably wouldn't hold a powerhead with an additional feature.

MarineREEFpassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was poking around today, and I got to thinking about using rock inserts to hide wavemakers. Who is using them? How have you liked them? If you don't use them, would you?

2.jpg

3.jpeg
It looks cool and great idea, but just seems like it would be a pain if I had to remove the power head to clean and just adds another place for things to hide.

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads, wavemakers, feeding clips, and cleaning magnets tough to hide them all. I don't bother!

Back