Not Shy: How many of you like to create new topic and discussion threads?

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I start threads to ask a question that I would like opinions on. But others I will sit and think about "whats a good reef related question that might get a conversation started?" On the one hand those threads can be enjoyable and as long as the internet still works might help someone with their current goal, keeping a reef tank, but on the other, and my real reason for those threads, is a good conversation can be a great place to plant a seed that will one day grow into something much greater, first and foremost I am a preacher and fish keeping is such an excellent teaching tool.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends. Oftentimes I create threads with very particular questions in mind. This might range from critter ID’s to solving a particular parameter or pest issue in my aquarium.
Other times I like to start a thread for general discussion. I like to hear the experiences and opinions of others on Reef2Reef, to both better my own understanding and to help anyone who takes interest in the topic as well. This usually involves more abstract questions such as people’s opinions on amino acid dosing, what others’ experiences with a particular fish were like, or, most famously, if anybody has had a clownfish as terrible as Luxo.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I'm thinking about all you community members who regularly start new threads/topics and wondering what makes you tick!

Are you one who likes to create new thread topics/discussions?

Is it because you need answers or because you like to get good discussions going or what is it?
If I have a question or discussion I definitely do a thread or jump into another thread on a similar subject.

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an Old School Forum Guy (think the old BBS format) and then moved into the modern "Forum" format and have been Admin on a few different forums (still Admin on 2). I love starting new threads when the specific topic I'm curious about hasn't been fully explored.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I'm thinking about all you community members who regularly start new threads/topics and wondering what makes you tick!

Are you one who likes to create new thread topics/discussions?

Is it because you need answers or because you like to get good discussions going or what is it?
I have started a couple that took off, but in general, I like to LOOK for new threads, rather than start them.

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to see the opinions and see if I missed something. For example, my post today about a 5 yo membrane still putting out water at 2 ppm before the DI resin. I know they say 3-5 years but why? Is someone on here running one for 10 years now? In my case I have a well that requires a lot of filtration coming into the house, so by the time it hits the RO/DI it's relatively clean and chlorine free. But that doesn't always align with what I search and other people's setups, since they may be on city water, etc.

Also I've learned that stuff changes, sometimes rapidly so a 2 year old post may be outdated.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I (like others have said) enjoy seeing different perspectives on various aspects of the hobby. It's always neat to see how a basic question I might ask will provoke a bunch of different opinions or answers and I think that is neat. I guess that's why I post so much on here haha, I just enjoy seeing everyone's thoughts and opinions

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can't find what I'm looking for, I'll ask.

But sometimes a good discussion is nice.
Like yesterday, I cleaned my skimmer and thought that would be a good talk.
Hey that was an interesting thread to read! Cause I fee like I never clean mine haha

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend a lot of time on the forum sharing and learning, and I don’t hesitate to add to an existing thread. However, for some reason I absolutely hate starting a new thread. I don’t know why but I won’t start a new thread unless I need to know something that I absolutely cant find the answer to anywhere else.

I guess somewhere deep down I have an irrational fear that I am going to ask a stupid question and get ridiculed for it.

Embarrassed Tom And Jerry GIF

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I feel about anything regarding forums but...
Even if we have tons of threads about a topic I like creating new ones. You will find more activity in a newer thread then an older one personally.

Some people feel their specific issue with different variables might garner with its own thread. Or at least the topic is focused on this persons issue vs an overall topic that most reefers deal with.

Biggest thing is reassurance from members. When you show pictures and are worried about something. You get instant feedback.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i do shy away from making new threads considering the amount of threads already made. i use the search function prior to making a thread to ensure my question wasn't already asked. most of the times i do find answers to my questions by just searching the forums :). only if the information seems outdated do i then start a new thread.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your perspective. I tend to disagree a little but understand why you think like you do.
From a hobbyists perspective, it's a necessary evil. New posts encourage discussion and keep hobbyists interested and engaged and fosters the craving to feel meaningful.

But new threads on topics that have been discused to length can also open up the door to confusion and conflicting information. Let's face it, replies that we see across mosts threads are perroted responses by that the person answering is an unqualified surrogate filling in for the experienced. They simply read it somewhere and then provided their interpretation of how they perceived the information. The problem with all that is that most of the time people that are knowledgeable on the subject dont chime in to correct the misinterpreted information, thus bad information gets pushed along.

When you continue this way, it's easy to see how new topics are divergent of the same topic from 5 years ago. And it's easy to dismiss that as, progress, or a new way of doing something. Sure, some things can fall under that category. But for the most part it's the illusion of truth effect, when someone reads false data over and over they tend to believe it to be true.

My point is, agree or disagree, that the subtle encouragement to create new threads come with a price.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend a lot of time on the forum sharing and learning, and I don’t hesitate to add to an existing thread. However, for some reason I absolutely hate starting a new thread. I don’t know why but I won’t start a new thread unless I need to know something that I absolutely cant find the answer to anywhere else.

I guess somewhere deep down I have an irrational fear that I am going to ask a stupid question and get ridiculed for it.

Embarrassed Tom And Jerry GIF
To quote what my teachers in nursing school use to always tell me "no question is a stupid question"

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reminds me that I have my own forum which I should be posting more in, but I also encourage anyone to post there with questions or comments for me. I am on here everyday.

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm speaking more on question threads rather than discussion threads. It's worth pointing out that, like in my nursing profession, information is constantly changing and updating, or new methods are being introduced. A phrase often used in the medical field is Evidence-Based Practice, which simply means applying updated, proven methods rather than just opting for the most traditional or frequently used methods of care. This also applies to reefing, as it is ever-changing in some areas. Also, every aquarist's journey or problem will not be as cut-and-dry as others, and the issues, although similar, are unique to some degree. There is value in finding existing conversations, as well as encouraging people to create new threads as parts of their situation may be unique. It is purely situational, in my opinion. Either way, this is a very interesting conversation. :slightly-smiling-face:

JFinlay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do not see a thread similar to what I'm thinking about, I try to create one so somebody else doesn't have the same issue.

The problem is trying to get responses! Some threads just die with minimal information on them. It makes it a little discouraging, especially when you take the time to take pictures etc.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve put a few marketplace items up besides a few random ones . There’s one I started shortly ago that’s gained a bit of interest.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do not see a thread similar to what I'm thinking about, I try to create one so somebody else doesn't have the same issue.

The problem is trying to get responses! Some threads just die with minimal information on them. It makes it a little discouraging, especially when you take the time to take pictures etc.
I know exactly what you mean. About 50% of my threads go unanswered, but I kinda expect it. You can also bump your post occasionally if you want. Sometimes threads get moved quickly to the bottom of the feed when new posts are made. I don’t think too many look for the forums themselves. Also try hashtags. There are some people who watch those. Like the reefsquad, fishmedic, mods, etc.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back