How many of you have had success with copperbands in an LPS dominant?

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo, there is finally an Australian copperband avaliable, I've been looking for this particular fish for months, but before I make any decisions, how many of you have had success with keeping copperbands with LPS? How did you do it? My tank has been running coral only for 8-9 months, and will be another 1 month of QT before I add it. I want to hear all of your stories, even the ones where it didn't work out. Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo, there is finally an Australian copperband avaliable, I've been looking for this particular fish for months, but before I make any decisions, how many of you have had success with keeping copperbands with LPS? How did you do it? My tank has been running coral only for 8-9 months, and will be another 1 month of QT before I add it. I want to hear all of your stories, even the ones where it didn't work out. Thanks!
I assume you mean Chelmon marginalis and not Chelmon rostratus?
However, if you do mean rostratus then be careful. The only big difference between Aussie and Indo Chelmon rostratus is the collection methods used. The feeding and other difficulties are the same with all Copperbands. Make sure your LFS is having them feed prior to buying. I had a Chelmon marginalis for 4.5 years, this guy was feeding vigorously at the LFS so I decided to pick him up and in my tank it’s softie/LPS dominant. What I learnt about all RSWC fish is to avoid specific LPS;
Trachys, Acans, Scolys, Lobos etc. Anything fleshy like these guys was likely to be eaten. ‘Chalices’ are the same.

However I did find many of our more skeleton type LPS or more polyped LPS (Duncan’s, Favia, Favites, Leptastrea, Leptoseris, Hammers, Torches, Frogspawn etc.) is generally safe with RSWC fish on a whole. Albeit the best way around this is by getting cheaper frags of similar textured coral and testing them out instead of going to spend over 100 on a coral to have it up and die.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping copperbands with soft corals since they invented copperbands. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I never had any problems with them picking at corals and never had any problems with them doing that. I feed them clams and worms and they normally live about ten years then get some weird neurological thing.

I personally don't quarantine anything and certainly wouldn't quarantine a copperband but what do I know?

My favorite fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back