OP
X

xhxxh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly doubt 99% of people don't use RODI.
I believe you are one of the 99%? Can you share a bit more about your tank? Im very interested to know those who dont use RODI but still run their tanks in success

Bluefish17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its totally worth it to just buy a rodi system, it saves you a ton of headaches. I bought a marine depot 4 stage system for 138 bucks. Why take a chance of introducing harmful metals and who knows what else into your display tank using tap water.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon, I seldom do water changes. I use distilled water for top off and the occasional water change (never more then 5 gallons).

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use RODI, of course I have dinos and diatoms and all that gloriousness, I am finally tired of dealing with everything that tap water has in it so I bought an RODI unit ( brs ), I figured if I am going to afford myself a new tank I am darn well gonna afford myself some good water to go in that tank.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RODI is a must, for long term success. Unless you have unique water.
Yes you need 0 TDS at all times. Not low not 1 or 2 only 0. You will have many problems with corals and algae and High po4. I lost $10k in coral from a bad cheap RODI system. You want the best base water to start.

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This hobby isn’t cheap, I you can’t afford RODI, saltwater isn’t for you,. Stick with freshwater as you’ll just get frustrated that your tank looks like crap. RODI is the staple of saltwater stability.
Exactly, this isn’t a hobby for the cheap people. Saltwater is a whole different word. Everything you buy you get what you pay for.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not 100% sure if it’s the same everywhere .
but think about it ....

You flush anything down the toilet , that water is separated and “cleaned “ to meet a set criteria .
Nitrates , ammonia , chlorine , and other chemicals are used to break down and separate solids from liquids .
The liquid eventually makes it back to your tap and essentially into your reef .

being a expensive hobby , why not supply the best possible

Camaro Show Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not 100% sure if it’s the same everywhere .
but think about it ....

You flush anything down the toilet , that water is separated and “cleaned “ to meet a set criteria .
Nitrates , ammonia , chlorine , and other chemicals are used to break down and separate solids from liquids .
The liquid eventually makes it back to your tap and essentially into your reef .

being a expensive hobby , why not supply the best possible
Exactly which is why I run a 200GPD 7 stage rodi with a booster pump

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I tested my tap with a TDS meter and it came out to 376 ppm - who knows what that could be. TDS is total dissolved solids and could be anything from heavy metals to other inorganic compounds. All sorts of nasty stuff you don't want in your tank.
Ouch

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little API dechlorinator is all i ever used 15+ years. If u have very skewed N&P ratios then i would consider some kind of filter.

As long as its potable its fine.
I wish members who make claims like this would back up their claims with a pic.......maybe your going to make a big change in the ways most of us do things.

That’s how we push this hobby forward.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, this isn’t a hobby for the cheap people. Saltwater is a whole different word. Everything you buy you get what you pay for.
This hobby is only as expensive as you want it to be. Those of you who have spent thousands on your systems do so because you like gadgets, not because it is necessary for success

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a really big country/world and every single well is different based upon whatever sort of rock its drilled into, where that water originally came from and whatever pesticides/fertilizers/industrial pollutants have found their way into it along the way....2 people in the same town could have completely different water...and that could vary from year to year....so as they say...you're mileage may vary....my well water is only 18tds but i go through an entire cannister of di resin for 50 gallons (dissolved CO2? danged if i know)...tap water has these same issues (comes from lakes, resevoirs, rivers, wells of various depths) plus whatever they dump into it to kill bacteria (chlorine,chloramine etc) and to keep plumbing pipes from corroding(think flint michigan)....in new york i used tapwater for initial setup (REALLY deep municipal well into a glacial aquifer), nutri sea or natural sea water for changes,and super market distilled for topoff...down here my tank turned to brown slime with my well water so i bought an ro/di....was it the cause? who knows but i had to try something or i was going to give up

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish members who make claims like this would back up their claims with a pic.......maybe your going to make a big change in the ways most of us do things.

That’s how we push this hobby forward.

I used 20tds tap water from the city with no declorinator for my first couple of years. Didn't have any algae issues or anything. But it is a gamble as the city does funky stuff to it's water sometimes. Heres my old tap water 90g tank
Screenshot_20210101-164737_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20210101-164712_Photos.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back