How many of you Log your testing

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the hobby and everything is still exciting. However I can see that logging could become a hassle (especially with my handwriting.).

Do you all log? I can absolutely see it with large tanks having a need for detail. I have a 45gal and looking to make it stupid easy. (I may use a clipboard and pencil. on the inside of the cabinet).

You should be logging the basics Alk Cal Mag Temp and SG. Then move on to No3 PO4. I suggest logging on a spreadsheet.

Dianna Marshall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I log into apex but before apex I used a clipboard, pen and paper. Even though my tank
Is established and older than 2 years, there’s always something to observe, in chemistries, inside the tank itself - and as it is often said by the experts, getting to know your tank. I’m busy and sometimes it’s difficult to test on time - and despite the challenges the worst is not writing stuff down- been there - done that. So log on!

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using excel and now the GHL logbooks feature. All my water tests, adding fish dates, maintenance tasks are all logged. I am in the process of inputting all the data from my excel worksheet into the LogBooks now.

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the Aquarimate camp, love it, makes it super easy to keep up with my dosing ,feeding, parameters etc.

Rosie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally wrote all my results down in a note pad, I did that for a couple of years. I then found the Aquarium Note app and it's fantastic! It will automatically graph your results, lets you add reminders that will then notify you to carry out tests or planned maintenance, lets you log everything about your tank such as livestock and equipment, keep track of all your latest activities etc. It's a great app and last time I checked it was free. :)

I have since purchased an APEX and I now log all my results and tank activities in the fusion App. :)

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I log. Clipboard, pencil and printed Outlook calendar

E89952A1-6DE2-4B63-A8C7-A9DE3CC8F9C1.jpeg

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Google Sheets to log my testing. Also keep notes in it and added graphs to see trends in alk, Ca, and Mg. Been doing this pretty much since I setup the latest tank.

Edit: I chose this route because any time I want to, I can share the Google Sheets to give others an idea of what my tank is doing.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first I used a tabular form to record Ca, Alk, Mg by hand. Now I use apex fusion to record it all. Easy to add notes (e.g., "added Ca reactor") to each record.

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very familiar with Excel and conditional formatting, but I don't know how to get the X in cells with no data. Is that also conditional formatting, or something you did manually? Can you tell me how you did that?

That is kinda manual. I use the "Border Button" pull-down and select "More Borders" and then click in the box on the diagonal borders.

Border.jpg

menglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am ocd about logging. Started with the day I put water in the tank. Found an excel log on reef central. Made some changes and love it. It automatically generated graphs, reminders of when to clean equipments, calibrate probes, everything. Even keeps track of how long you’ve a particular fish n corals

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I log everything on my computer like in excel format but print them and put them in a binder. However I do it for other reasons. I usually know where my tank is by looking and have been wrong a few times but not often. But the main reason is, if I’m sick and can’t be home or hospitaliz d etc vacation, there is a log for any one else to follow.
It says how much I manually dose each day and of what etc. it also says how often I feed the corals and fish as well as schedules.

Also in that log it says where the main heaters are plugged in, skimmer and which power strip runs pumps and which one runs lights. Each power transformer I made a label saying which one it goes to etc. now I had super pretty cores and wires till I had to replace something. Then it was a huge pain getting the cord out, but not so much in finding it.

Logs are great for that sudden emergency where someone else has to do it for me. I also write it, basically in terms that my 6 yr old niece can understand. Too many people who don’t know saltwater it’s mind boggling.

The other reason is it helps me do the math when for example I’m out of the sceechem alk powder and only have rpm liquid concentration. I have to convert that to make sure I get proper dosage or my tank goes low or high in a day. But I’d do what’s best for you and how to help you maintain your tank. Super simple has always worked wonders for me.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my 1st saltwater tank many, many, many moons ago.
I have a logbook that I filled & copied the pages with my own additions & use that now.
Available to anyone with an email address as an attachment.

Kurt Hammel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the hobby and everything is still exciting. However I can see that logging could become a hassle (especially with my handwriting.).

Do you all log? I can absolutely see it with large tanks having a need for detail. I have a 45gal and looking to make it stupid easy. (I may use a clipboard and pencil. on the inside of the cabinet).
I use the logging feature on my Apex it stores and creates a line graph showing the changes over time.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I log everything from day one (6.5) years old tank. Paper and pencil here. Old school reefer.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 167 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back