How many of you Log your testing

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to the hobby and everything is still exciting. However I can see that logging could become a hassle (especially with my handwriting.).

Do you all log? I can absolutely see it with large tanks having a need for detail. I have a 45gal and looking to make it stupid easy. (I may use a clipboard and pencil. on the inside of the cabinet).

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarimate app. Super easy.
I paid the $10 for it on my phone. It but it seems like its gonna be a PIA. You have to enter everything a first. There was a "live" version that you can roam and use a pc was well as your iPhone, ipad or iwatch (I have all of them) the watch one could be helpful.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once set up, Aquariamate is a breeze.

Open app.
Tap on Parameters
Tap on the parameter you are testing and enter the result

Then you can add all sorts of task reminders and get calendar alarms.

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pen/paper next to the test kits is where I'm at now, mostly just to figure out the last time I tested. (E.g. its been two weeks? maybe tomorrow night..)

I check my two part jugs more often than I test, to ensure they are emptying at the same rate.

I used Excel for a bit, then tried the phone App.

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pen/paper next to the test kits is where I'm at now, mostly just to figure out the last time I tested. (E.g. its been two weeks? maybe tomorrow night..)

I check my two part jugs more often than I test, to ensure they are emptying at the same rate.

I used Excel for a bit, then tried the phone App.

It is likely where I will end up. Paper chart on a clipboard. Im going to give this software a try. If I can just tap the entries on my watch it may win.

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am super OCD so I created an Excel spreadsheet. I have it color coded with conditional formatting so when I enter the number it will give me green or red. I have attached a screen shot of it. The bright yellow highlights are because I have Hanna checkers for those and I have my goals under the test type. I also had a notes line for anything I did to the tank.

Tank Data.jpg

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much wing it. Fish or corals start looking not full I'll test on the spot. Besides that I test every 2-3 weeks now. I don't bother logging, just keep a rolling tab in my head. Make adjustments where needed.

Had 39 gallons total, added a big sump. Now I'm at 78 total. Made all the difference in the world on my tank for stability.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Aquarimate for logging all my testing, scheduling tasks, etc. I also have an Apex and know there is logging in Fusion, but I find Aquarimate to be simpler and all in one place.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eeeew, that just seems like work ......

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a small notebook(the paper kind) for my reef hobby. I log testing which is usually every week, more often if I'm figuring out dosing, log my water change/cleaning every other week or when I do most tasks like cleaning pumps,etc. I log critter additions and sometimes subtractions.

My notebook is kept with my testing equipment so it is easy to grab and do it.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, since day one (e.g. 3 years now) for my 24g.

And it has been invaluable.

The simple act of jotting down Alk measurements has allowed me to recongnize -- and stay dialed in -- to the ideal alk value for my tank. And I can't recall how many times I've done a quick flip through the pages to remind myself when I last changed out my carbon or Phosguard.

Will definitely do it for the 65g I'm setting up as well.

BTW -- IMHO it's just as important for nano tanks as it is for big tanks. Perhaps even more so. In nano tanks a small change can have a much bigger and quicker impact than it would in a large tank.

I use a simple notebook. It only takes ~30 seconds to jot down a measurement reading, a WC volume, or to scribble a note like 'switched from IO salt to Fritz today'.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, since day one (e.g. 3 years now) for my 24g.

And it has been invaluable.

The simple act of jotting down Alk measurements has allowed me to recongnize -- and stay dialed in -- to the ideal alk value for my tank. And I can't recall how many times I've done a quick flip through the pages to remind myself when I last changed out my carbon or Phosguard.

Will definitely do it for the 65g I'm setting up as well.

BTW -- IMHO it's just as important for nano tanks as it is for big tanks. Perhaps even more so. In nano tanks a small change can have a much bigger and quicker impact than it would in a large tank.

I use a simple notebook. It only takes ~30 seconds to jot down a measurement reading, a WC volume, or to scribble a note like 'switched from IO salt to Fritz today'.

I think it is also good habit for newbies or even old salts who are messing with things, even if not chasing numbers. Logging the things you do to your tank on a routine basis will tell you and others asking questions IF plan A is actually working or maybe maintenance B during that time may have had an effect as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back