How many of your fish eat from your hand?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my fish are pretty "tame" . A couple of years ago when I had more time to mess with them almost all of them ate from my hand. It was actually pretty valuable to help slow eaters compete with a tank full of wrasses who are very aggressive feeders.

How many of your fish are tame enough to eat from your hand? Share a video if you have one.

Last edited:

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many eat FROM my hand? Currently, none. Previously (as in ehen I was in high school so 15ish years ago), in my freshwater tank I had a Black Ghost Knife that would let me hand feed him, a fire eel that would be hand fed, and my brother's tire track eel would also hand feed. They all died after a few years, each one after we went on vacation and a power outage occurred while we were gone.

But currently, non in either my freshwater or saltwater will hand feed. Unless you count my Midnight Clown biting MY HAND whenever I am doing anything in the tank. If so, then yes. I do have one that is "hand fed" (specifically fed my hand).
tenor.gif

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most all of them. I can't even get the algae clip stuck on the side without getting bum rushed

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous Burgess Butterfly eating from my hand.

My starry blenny will eat from my hand, or just bite my hand if he thinks there is food, but I don't actively encourage it. I doubt I could ever get my venusta to eat from my hand, but will try to get the butterflies I have in QT to eat from my hand after they are in the display.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just eat from anyone’s hand as long as there’s food they not bothered, they do beg a lot for food to, every time I walk past the tank they all gather at the corner we’re I normally feed.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean Paul. I sometimes regret letting my Blue Throat eat out of my hand. His vision isn't always great or his exuberance get's the best of him.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6” dusky jawfish will take my finger in his mouth bite as hard as he can and shake his head around. Most of my other fish eat from my hand too, my puffer and rabbitfish like nibbling on my fingers.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt that mine would with a little encouragement. My foxface has actually nibbled on my finger a couple of times when I go to release the seaweed from the clip for it to eat. Makes me really nervous when he does though given he is a spastic fish with venomous spines. As aggressive as a feeders as my Wrasses are they have nothing on my Lyretail Anthias as voracious pig doesn't begin to describe it.

Incidentally here is what my Foxface does for cleaning the seaweed clip:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years back when I had my first biocube, my naked clown fish and her mate (regular clown) would stick their faces out of the water and eat pellets off my wet finger.
I still have them both. 8 years strong! Though I dont make them work as hard for their dinner now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back