How many pajama cardinalfish in 10 gal tank

markon87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a 10-gal tank that was empty until today. I bought one pajama cardinalfish. Now that I'm home I'm thinking how cool it would be to have maybe 3 of them and have them school. Since it's just a 10-gal tank, how many do you think I could add? Also if I cannot add more pajama cardinals, is there any other suggestion for a good tank mate?

Thanks!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a 10-gal tank that was empty until today. I bought one pajama cardinalfish. Now that I'm home I'm thinking how cool it would be to have maybe 3 of them and have them school. Since it's just a 10-gal tank, how many do you think I could add? Also if I cannot add more pajama cardinals, is there any other suggestion for a good tank mate?

Thanks!
PJ Cardinals get fairly large for a 10 gallon tank. If you have a mated pair it might be OK but it'll be tight. They're usually territorial and having more than 1 can cause aggression as they get larger.

OP
OP
markon87

markon87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other fish you would recommend as a mate to this one pajama cardinal in a 10-gal tank?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Certain Gobies can make good additions. Clownfish will outgrow it eventually but some people do it.

What are your end goals plans for the tank? Corals?

OP
OP
markon87

markon87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain Gobies can make good additions. Clownfish will outgrow it eventually but some people do it.

What are your end goals plans for the tank? Corals?

This tank has been serving me as a place where to put my Chaeto that I pull out of my refugium. Since it's otherwise empty I thought I could add some fish to make it a bit more exciting. Maybe down the road I'd like to make this tank my frag tank so I don't want fish that are not reef safe. I also have 20gal tank that has two clowns inside, so I would like something that could potentially be a good tank mate with those two clowns.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This tank has been serving me as a place where to put my Chaeto that I pull out of my refugium. Since it's otherwise empty I thought I could add some fish to make it a bit more exciting. Maybe down the road I'd like to make this tank my frag tank so I don't want fish that are not reef safe. I also have 20gal tank that has two clowns inside, so I would like something that could potentially be a good tank mate with those two clowns.
Don't get another clown then. I have 3 happily living together in my 125 for now but one was a female already and the other two were both still male. They accidentally got mixed.

OP
OP
markon87

markon87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get another clown then. I have 3 happily living together in my 125 for now but one was a female already and the other two were both still male. They accidentally got mixed.
Yeah, I guess you can have 3 in 125. My clowns paired and female is laying eggs every few weeks in a small clay pot they have. I wouldn't mind having three clowns but I don't think they work in 20 gal tank.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re OK if you’re looking for a “filler” fish, but do note that despite them being able to hang out in groups, they’re monogamous breeders and only spawn in 1 male, 1 female pairs with the male holding and taking care of the eggs. I have seen larger (and I assume older) ones at several public aquariums and they get ugly once they fully mature. They lose most of the red spots and just become sort of drab.

I’d consider another type of fish, and I’ll leave it to the more experienced members here.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They’re OK if you’re looking for a “filler” fish, but do note that despite them being able to hang out in groups, they’re monogamous breeders and only spawn in 1 male, 1 female pairs with the male holding and taking care of the eggs. I have seen larger (and I assume older) ones at several public aquariums and they get ugly once they fully mature. They lose most of the red spots and just become sort of drab.

I’d consider another type of fish, and I’ll leave it to the more experienced members here.
That's the truth! Mine swim around looking all bloated and their eyes look bloodshot. Ugly critters.

IMG_20230504_144421042.jpg

OP
OP
markon87

markon87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have to agree that they are not the prettiest fish. I wanted something hardy, something that it's out and swimming, not something that hides or perches on a rock. I had Banggai Cardinal so I thought I should try something different this time. Maybe it was an impulsive purchase :D

OP
OP
markon87

markon87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tail spot blenny would fit in a 10 gallons. Full of personality and really fun to watch !

Do you know if tail spot blenny is reef safe? With some blennies you never know.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a pair it would be ok, but in a 10 G if you end up with 2 males cardinal, one will be killed.
I would put a fire fish, once they feel safe they stay out quite a lot.

OP
OP
markon87

markon87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a pair it would be ok, but in a 10 G if you end up with 2 males cardinal, one will be killed.
I would put a fire fish, once they feel safe they stay out quite a lot.

Thanks, I like fire fish. Do you know if they require rocks to hide? I have a lot of bio balls on one end of the tank and big ball of Chaeto on the other one. Do you think that's enough for them to hide?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if tail spot blenny is reef safe? With some blennies you never know.
Mine never touched anything but I see online some people had problems with them nipping. They like algae so I suppose if you have some, they’ll be fine.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you're considering a Damsel, I'd go with a Springeri Damsel. They're one of the most peaceful Damsels and they eat pests like flatworms and Bristleworms.
IMG_20230304_105201294.jpg

You can also add a Bangaii as they don't typically fight with PJs although there are always exceptions to any rule.
IMG_20230608_120230547.jpg

Another good option is a Sharknose Cleaner Goby, Neon Blue Cleaner Goby, or Yellow Line Goby.
IMG_20230707_180117006.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back