how many pellets for one clownfish??

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I know all of you might think I am putting my clownfish on a diet, but what I am really wanting to know, is how many pellets should I feed it, just so its healthy. My clownfish always looks like it is hungry, and I am worried I ma not feeding enough. I feed around 10 -15 pellets a day, and the clownfish eats like 8-12. is this enough?

I do not have any other fish, and the clownfish is pretty juvenile, as I just got it like 7 or 8 months ago.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish will eat as much as it wants. Quality pellets are very healthy and I think that, unless you are having issues with waste management, you should continue what you are doing. On my tank, I tend to give a couple a pellets and flakes throughout the day and then a big mealtime in the evening. A lot of these fish eat constantly in the wild and so I try to mimic that as much as I can.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clownfish will eat as much as it wants. Quality pellets are very healthy and I think that, unless you are having issues with waste management, you should continue what you are doing. On my tank, I tend to give a couple a pellets and flakes throughout the day and then a big mealtime in the evening. A lot of these fish eat constantly in the wild and so I try to mimic that as much as I can.
now waste management issues! my question was mostly geared toward if this is enough, not to much, but thanks for the feedback :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are feeding it about twice as much as you need to. It's stomach is as large as it's eye and like yourself and your car, you don't have to fill it to the top at every opportunity.
It is a cold blooded creature and can go many weeks without food for a reason.

5 or 6 pellets should be enough if the fish is about an inch.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are feeding it about twice as much as you need to. It's stomach is as large as it's eye and like yourself and your car, you don't have to fill it to the top at every opportunity.
It is a cold blooded creature and can go many weeks without food for a reason.

5 or 6 pellets should be enough if the fish is about an inch.
definitely not what I was expecting! I didn't know there stomachs were that small, so I will feed max 10 a day, I guess he is really just begging for food.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my 2 juveniles ( about 1 inch) 2- 3 pellets each ( 1mm) twice a day each and once a week i cut a quarter of a frozen block of mixed food ( get maybe 6- 8 little critters each)
Each pellet i put in i try to make sure they eaten it before i add another in one at a time.( dont want any food to hit bottom ) ^_^
Find it easier this way for me

izzy1942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I know all of you might think I am putting my clownfish on a diet, but what I am really wanting to know, is how many pellets should I feed it, just so its healthy. My clownfish always looks like it is hungry, and I am worried I ma not feeding enough. I feed around 10 -15 pellets a day, and the clownfish eats like 8-12. is this enough?

I do not have any other fish, and the clownfish is pretty juvenile, as I just got it like 7 or 8 months ago.

areohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish is different. Your fish will tell you how much they need. Put in a couple of pellets and if they eat those all, then put a couple of more. Once they stop eating within a 3 min period, that will tell you how much to put each time.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back