How many R2R'ers keep a separate frag tank?

My frag tank is 50g low boy, 50% refuge, 50% frags and is part of my 180g display +50g sump with a total of 280g.

As I prune my sticks, they go the frag portion until they are big enough to refrag, or are put back in the DT in another spot.

As part of the system, it requires virtually no maintenance.

IMG_2181.jpeg
How do you have these plumbed? I have my 240 on main floor, basement fish room with sump and a 80g frag tank with its own sump and that’s ready to go. I want to use the same water for both.
 
How do you have these plumbed? I have my 240 on main floor, basement fish room with sump and a 80g frag tank with its own sump and that’s ready to go. I want to use the same water for both.
Same here.
From a tee off the return pump with gate valve for control into the frag/refuge, which is higher than my sump.

Then overflows back into my sump.

Frag/refuge, far right.

IMG_0105.jpeg
 
Setting up a separate frag tank for coral frags is a good idea for many reasons. Some of them include a place to observe new frags for pests or issues, a place for display corals that need extra care, a place to grow out frags for resell or trade etc.

How many R2R'ers keep a separate frag tank and what's your purpose?

frag tank image via @lilopop11
1716910577068.png
 
Setting up a separate frag tank for coral frags is a good idea for many reasons. Some of them include a place to observe new frags for pests or issues, a place for display corals that need extra care, a place to grow out frags for resell or trade etc.

How many R2R'ers keep a separate frag tank and what's your purpose?

frag tank image via @lilopop11
1716910577068.png
I bought a frag tank a few months ago, and I started buying those ½ inch frags, but I lost interest, I had problems with the pugs on the frags I received from the vendors, for they would have algae growing all around the dam plug, and the frag would not grow, it was just almost constant cleaning of the plugs, but there was no other algae growing anywhere in the tank, so now I ask the vendors to not have the plugs attached so they or myself can glue the frag on a small live rock. So what I am doing now mostly is putting colonies in the frag tank and growing them more so they can go into a bigger tank soon, and I am doing some propagation on them to put into my smaller tanks, and it seems like I am starting to enjoy the tank again. I might go back collecting frags after year and once the tank is more established.
 

Attachments

  • Frag Tank (2).JPG
    Frag Tank (2).JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 77
Same here.
From a tee off the return pump with gate valve for control into the frag/refuge, which is higher than my sump.

Then overflows back into my sump.

Frag/refuge, far right.

IMG_0105.jpeg
Thanks. Gotta see if I can deconstruct your pic. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:
 
Thanks. Gotta see if I can deconstruct your pic. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I figured it out. The difference is my frag tank is lower than my sump. So maybe I use the frag tank sump and pump it back to the main sump.
 
Just purchased a 4ft 120 and thinking about turning my old 75 into a frag tank. Just can't decide if I want to run separate sump or tie the two into one sump.
 
Just purchased a 4ft 120 and thinking about turning my old 75 into a frag tank. Just can't decide if I want to run separate sump or tie the two into one sump.
Imo it’s best to plumb them together. Only one system to test vs 2, larger volume is more stable from swings etc. just have to make sure the sump can handle the extra volume if the pumps shut off
 
I’ve got one. As a backup system if things go pair shaped in my display and then just have a good place for frags to grow and sell rather than having frag racks in my display
 
Are your frag tanks fishless ? and if so, how do you manage nutrients ?
No, they all have fish. I do routine water changes to keep nitrate and phosphate in range. The systems are only 50 gallons each, so it is very manageable.
 
I have plans for a small frag tank for temporary holding until I can share or gift them. Most frags will be from over growth trimming.
 
I have had one for a few years. Can never seem to shut it down. I use mine as a QT for SPS for six or so months before moving them into the main tank. There’s a six-line wrasse, springers and bumblebee snails in there to clean up any pests. After three years I haven’t had anything too serious reach my main tank. Not even bubble algae. QT is the only way to go imo. Now if I could only find a way to keep hair algae from getting into my tanks.
 
Imo it’s best to plumb them together. Only one system to test vs 2, larger volume is more stable from swings etc. just have to make sure the sump can handle the extra volume if the pumps shut off
I'm running a 40 breeder sump, and it is set up so it should handle the extra volume. I will more than likely run just one sump
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new