srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I please get a little advice?

How many Radion XR G6 lights would I need for a 72" x 24" x 29"; 210 gallon tank?
I’m lighting a 72” long, 24” wide, 25” deep tank with 4, Radion XR30’s. I will most likely pick up a 5th as corals grow or add in something in between. I would go with 4 for soft corals/LPS and probably SPS for a good long while so long as your sand or bottom is reflective.

PSA: The G5 and G6’s are utilizing the same driver and the same wattage. People seem to be of the belief that magically with new lenses and a few more blue/UV lights instead of green, they magically cover more. You can diffuse the light to cover a wider area, you can focus the light, but you really can’t magically make more PAR. The earlier Radions really did have hotspots but the G5’s have far less. This isn’t based on reviews, this is using a good PAR meter, at home, across 3-4 generations of Radions.

There are basically no more honest reviews as the online aquarium stores have consolidated and become more intertwined with equipment makers.

You can keep reading and someone will eventually suggest 3…or maybe 2…and you can run with that but @ me in 12-18 months when growth is terrible.

OP
OP
Salty Sea Flowers

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I’m lighting a 72” long, 24” wide, 25” deep tank with 4, Radion XR30’s. I will most likely pick up a 5th as corals grow or add in something in between. I would go with 4 for soft corals/LPS and probably SPS for a good long while so long as your sand or bottom is reflective.

PSA: The G5 and G6’s are utilizing the same driver and the same wattage. People seem to be of the belief that magically with new lenses and a few more blue/UV lights instead of green, they magically cover more. You can diffuse the light to cover a wider area, you can focus the light, but you really can’t magically make more PAR. The earlier Radions really did have hotspots but the G5’s have far less. This isn’t based on reviews, this is using a good PAR meter, at home, across 3-4 generations of Radions.

There are basically no more honest reviews as the online aquarium stores have consolidated and become more intertwined with equipment makers.

You can keep reading and someone will eventually suggest 3…or maybe 2…and you can run with that but @ me in 12-18 months when growth is terrible.
haha! thank you so much! i really appreciate this info! ♡

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Having used all gen's of Radions on my 72" long 240, I would say 4 XR30's to start with, but if you get good growth you are going to want a 5th. There is also another option of using T5's or a led bar with the 4 XR30's.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 4 xr15g5's on my 4' 80.
6 15g6's would work quite well for anything you want to grow, imo
My 80.
20230215_153157.jpg

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Can I please get a little advice?

How many Radion XR G6 lights would I need for a 72" x 24" x 29"; 210 gallon tank?
Definitely need the 6 on there if your going with sps. Could always do the 4 spread out and add T5 cures just about everything.

VideoCapture_20230217-170016.jpg

OP
OP
Salty Sea Flowers

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Running 6 XR30s on my 225
noice, noice! i think im going to roll with 5 for this build. it's always easier to have too many and be able to take one off, than to not have enough and go through the hassle of forking out MORE money and ordering (and waiting) for it. LOL!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back