How much do i feed a baby Goldentail Moray Eel?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A piece of fish or squid is adequate. While they may appear big, they have small intestines until they obtain sizeable growth

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do have him in, I like the goldentail moray, they can be on the aggressive side when he gets larger. So choice of tank mates will be rather delicate, they are fang tooth so they will eat fish, likely larger than you would expect. A foxface would be a good tank mate, triggers, tangs, and large angels are other good tank mates. Hopefully he's in a 125g or larger or your choices in tank mates will be limited.

Many of us who keep eels have found feeding until they get their full about every 3 days to work well. When he's that small every other day would be best. I like cutting my food into bite size chunks rather than huge pieces, I've found it to be easier to keep from getting so messy. These guys can tear up their food and be sort of messy. They will let you know when they are full by retreating back into the rocks or just stop taking the food. Their method of eating in the wild is a gorge/fast routine, so a good feeding followed by a fast is best.

There are 3 color morphs of the goldentail so I'd like to see pics also, $80 is a good price for the brown morph and a very good price for the golden morph. The yellow morph will run you over $600-800.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do have him in, I like the goldentail moray, they can be on the aggressive side when he gets larger. So choice of tank mates will be rather delicate, they are fang tooth so they will eat fish, likely larger than you would expect. A foxface would be a good tank mate, triggers, tangs, and large angels are other good tank mates. Hopefully he's in a 125g or larger or your choices in tank mates will be limited.

Many of us who keep eels have found feeding until they get their full about every 3 days to work well. When he's that small every other day would be best. I like cutting my food into bite size chunks rather than huge pieces, I've found it to be easier to keep from getting so messy. These guys can tear up their food and be sort of messy. They will let you know when they are full by retreating back into the rocks or just stop taking the food. Their method of eating in the wild is a gorge/fast routine, so a good feeding followed by a fast is best.

There are 3 color morphs of the goldentail so I'd like to see pics also, $80 is a good price for the brown morph and a very good price for the golden morph. The yellow morph will run you over $600-800.
Ok so idk if he is a brown morph or not but i will get pics asap and he is in a 75 right now with like 5 other 2inche fish.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i know that means some lighter stocking and possibly and upgrade but im ok with just two or three fish and a bigger tank is just a better tank right lol

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 75 gallon is big enough for him right? they only get like what 28 inches maximum

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i also don't have a set name for him yet but i'm leaning towards the name Midas, what do you guys think?

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C54AC08F-3365-4D34-AEDF-2C9FF668B9A2.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol sorry they are soooo huge im new to useing a forum thing

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more photos coming once the shrimp is thawed out he might give us a full body fingers crossed

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really good looking eel, he can live fine in a 75g, it's just the other fish that will be ok in a 75. He will eventually eat anything that's under 4" maybe larger, and they'll have to have a little attitude. The only fish I can even think of that will be tough enough and go in a 75g would be a one spot foxface. He'll likely be 2' in a little over a year's time. He's still got his baby teeth, look at these chompers. https://dissolve.com/stock-photo/Close-Goldentail-royalty-free-image/101-D25-49-003

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really good looking eel, he can live fine in a 75g, it's just the other fish that will be ok in a 75. He will eventually eat anything that's under 4" maybe larger, and they'll have to have a little attitude. The only fish I can even think of that will be tough enough and go in a 75g would be a one spot foxface. He'll likely be 2' in a little over a year's time. He's still got his baby teeth, look at these chompers. https://dissolve.com/stock-photo/Close-Goldentail-royalty-free-image/101-D25-49-003
Oh snap thats cool, well im ok with just a foxface and an eel in my 75. Do you know if there is anything else i could put in there with the eel besides the foxface?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh snap thats cool, well im ok with just a foxface and an eel in my 75. Do you know if there is anything else i could put in there with the eel besides the foxface?

I really shouldn't do this, because most people don't have the resources to rehome fish as I do, and I have no problem rehoming fish. If it were me, I'd do the goldentail, one spot foxface, and a piscasso trigger; that's it. The thing is that the goldentail is going to a force when he gets mature, and there just isn't anything that will be able to hold it's own in a 75g eventually. The foxface gets good size, mine is over 6", but it really does utilize a small area of real estate. It has the poisonous spines so it will be ok; It does have to be a one spot, the others get too large. They can be good algae eaters as well, although mine isn't.. The picasso trigger, or any Rhinecanthus genus trigger are tough and grow really, really slowly; almost painfully slow. You will need to get one about 3-4", and it will likely take more than 3-5 years to even reach 5". He will eventually need a larger tank.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really shouldn't do this, because most people don't have the resources to rehome fish as I do, and I have no problem rehoming fish. If it were me, I'd do the goldentail, one spot foxface, and a piscasso trigger; that's it. The thing is that the goldentail is going to a force when he gets mature, and there just isn't anything that will be able to hold it's own in a 75g eventually. The foxface gets good size, mine is over 6", but it really does utilize a small area of real estate. It has the poisonous spines so it will be ok; It does have to be a one spot, the others get too large. They can be good algae eaters as well, although mine isn't.. The picasso trigger, or any Rhinecanthus genus trigger are tough and grow really, really slowly; almost painfully slow. You will need to get one about 3-4", and it will likely take more than 3-5 years to even reach 5". He will eventually need a larger tank.
Ok i might do that i have always wanted a one spot foxface because i had one in my first tank ever i bought it already setup and there was a one spot in it but a lfs told me he would get too big fo my 45 gallon tank at the time , so i sold him but i have not had another fish even come close to his personality and spunk. my only thing is i want some corals in there too, do you think a trigger would mess with corals?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't keep any triggers in my reef, but some do, it is about your personal risk vs reward. Some have a 50/50 with the xanthichthys genus triggers, but they would not do well in a 75g even temporarily, and are pretty much a wimpy version of a trigger. honestly I can not think of anything else that would work. I love lightly stocked tanks catering to a dominant predator fish, but I know most people like more fully stocked tanks. That is the trade off for successfully keeping predators and aggressive fish.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't keep any triggers in my reef, but some do, it is about your personal risk vs reward. Some have a 50/50 with the xanthichthys genus triggers, but they would not do well in a 75g even temporarily, and are pretty much a wimpy version of a trigger. honestly I can not think of anything else that would work. I love lightly stocked tanks catering to a dominant predator fish, but I know most people like more fully stocked tanks. That is the trade off for successfully keeping predators and aggressive fish.
yeah that was kinda my idea that have just two or three pred fish and then some corals.
i thought about some type of scropion or lion fish what do you think about that?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lions and scorps don't do well with an eel like that, a huge volitan would be an exception but too big for the 75g. Smaller lions and scorps because of their nature of perching and being more slow moving could be easy pickings for a full sized goldentail. You need a fish large enough with some spunk and evasive moves to protect themselves.

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH also i just remembered i have kind of an important question. i have really been wondering if cleaner shrimp will live with an eel

OP
OP
S

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so lions and scorps are a no no got it :) i would be really interested in keeping a cleaner shrimp with him tho have him clean the eels teeth is that a thing? or will it just be a shrimp snack

anyone everdone this before

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back