How much flow should I be using?

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

I am rather new at this so I want to make sure I am not putting too much flow on my fish. I have an innovative marine nuvo fusion 20g Long tank peninsula style which is about 30in long and 12 in wide. The return pump is a mighty jet 326 gph which is pretty much at 100% that is primarily pointed upwards. I also have a aqamai kps that is running about 30% facing towards the rocks which would probably be around 525-575 gph. Is this too much flow for the tank or not enough? All i have is 2 clownfish in there and about 20 lbs of rocks. Thanks you!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t have corals to worry about, as long as there’s reasonable flow for aeration of the water and it’s not at the point your blowing sand all over, you should be fine.

And welcome to R2R as well!

OP
OP
A

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don’t have corals to worry about, as long as there’s reasonable flow for aeration of the water and it’s not at the point your blowing sand all over, you should be fine.

And welcome to R2R as well!
Oh that's good to hear. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't stressing the fish. Thanks for the welcome as well!

Tom Carr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the fish don't look like they are fighting to stay where they are and you are not blowing the sand around the tank you should be fine.
You should be Ok with your setup.

Welcome to the best site on the web.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your plans for the tank? If your numbers are correct you are at ~43x turnover, so somewhere in between LPS and SPS ready.

OP
OP
A

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I want to put some lps and maybe some sps down the line. I can increase the flow of needed, I just wanted to make sure I was not going overboard since this is my first tank haha.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about too much for the fish. FWIW - my clowns and my wrasse like to surf in the flow from my Gyres - especially when they are near max output.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back