How much flow should I be using?

Asian Hurricane

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2019
Messages
72
Reaction score
28
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

I am rather new at this so I want to make sure I am not putting too much flow on my fish. I have an innovative marine nuvo fusion 20g Long tank peninsula style which is about 30in long and 12 in wide. The return pump is a mighty jet 326 gph which is pretty much at 100% that is primarily pointed upwards. I also have a aqamai kps that is running about 30% facing towards the rocks which would probably be around 525-575 gph. Is this too much flow for the tank or not enough? All i have is 2 clownfish in there and about 20 lbs of rocks. Thanks you!
 
If you don’t have corals to worry about, as long as there’s reasonable flow for aeration of the water and it’s not at the point your blowing sand all over, you should be fine.

And welcome to R2R as well!
 
If you don’t have corals to worry about, as long as there’s reasonable flow for aeration of the water and it’s not at the point your blowing sand all over, you should be fine.

And welcome to R2R as well!
Oh that's good to hear. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't stressing the fish. Thanks for the welcome as well!
 
As long as the fish don't look like they are fighting to stay where they are and you are not blowing the sand around the tank you should be fine.
You should be Ok with your setup.

Welcome to the best site on the web.
 
What are your plans for the tank? If your numbers are correct you are at ~43x turnover, so somewhere in between LPS and SPS ready.
 
Yeah I want to put some lps and maybe some sps down the line. I can increase the flow of needed, I just wanted to make sure I was not going overboard since this is my first tank haha.
 
I wouldn't worry about too much for the fish. FWIW - my clowns and my wrasse like to surf in the flow from my Gyres - especially when they are near max output.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new