How much is to much carbon?

paul01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use to much carbon in your tank? If so what what’s the best ratio in your tank? How do you have carbon in your tank reactor or media bags and where do you have them ?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use to much carbon in your tank? If so what what’s the best ratio in your tank? How do you have carbon in your tank reactor or media bags and where do you have them ?
I suppose too much is relative. If you have more than you need, the unused or underutilized carbon will just become clogged with organics/debris over time rendering it ineffective and a waste of money. Size it appropriately for your flow and system volume and its purpose, i.e. what are you looking to accomplish, and change regularly. The more flow through the better. I do not have a dedicated media cartridge and I just place mine in a mesh bag in a compartment in the baffles of my sump designed for media bags.

Gary Inwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose too much is relative. If you have more than you need, the unused or underutilized carbon will just become clogged with organics/debris over time rendering it ineffective and a waste of money. Size it appropriately for your flow and system volume and its purpose, i.e. what are you looking to accomplish, and change regularly. The more flow through the better. I do not have a dedicated media cartridge and I just place mine in a mesh bag in a compartment in the baffles of my sump designed for media bags.
I have my carbon reactor on very low flow so i think i am going to increase my flow

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Unless you measure something that GAC is suppose to remove, GAC use is a faith-based activity. This is likely the case for every aquarium owner.

If you don’t use GAC, you can observe aquarium water becoming yellow over time. Comparing the appearance of aquarium water in a 5 gallon white bucket to fresh salt water in an another 5 gallon bucket is the simplest way the to monitor aquarium water color.

The manufacturers recommendation on the amount of GAC to use and how often to change it seems to be reasonable. No controversy here that I am aware of. There is a belief that excessive amounts of GAC strip nutrients, resulting in harm to coral. I have seen data on the removal of total organic carbon when 4 cups per 100 gallons of GAC is used for 24 hours and 0.7 cups per 100 gallons. Both reduced TOC effectively and there was no mention of harm to the coral.

The use of a mesh bag of GAC is the “it’s better than nothing” approach. It is probably the worse way to use it if you want to use GAC with confidence that it is doing what it is suppose to do. Water must flow through a bed of GAC evenly and slowly to work properly, something like 2 systems worth of water per day. That is accomplished with a reactor with water flowing upwards from the bottom.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS did a nice video quite a few years ago(thinking like 7 or 8, Ryan was super young) on the effectiveness of carbon whether run passively(in a bag in your sump), Vs. in a reactor. The results were quite surprising how much more effective a reactor is.

With that said, I run BRS ROX carbon in a reactor 24/7/365 on their recommendation of 1tbs per 10g. I change it out about every other week. If I go longer then 2 weeks, the bacteria that has built up in the low flow reactor inhibits the water from flowing through it.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GAC higher flow rates are fine and I found better results than low so long as you don't allow it to tumble, GFO is another story.
You absolutely do not need a reactor to have successful and effective GAC but you do need directed flow through it. My mesh bag is in a chamber in a baffle where I get solid flow through. Would a reactor be better? No, not for my set up. Is a reactor better than passive placement in a mesh bag in the sump without directed flow through? Absolutely.
Some additional info below. A little dry reading so, brace yourself. Solid info and results on recommended quantities.
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/1/aafeature1
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/aafeature1

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using too much carbon is strictly based on your current levels of nutrients. If your nutrients are high, and you throw a bunch of carbon at it which will bottom them out, you will most likely run into issues with any sensitive livestock. If your nutrients are already close to 0, then the amount of carbon you use is less important. Regarding reactors vs. bags, you are always going to get better performance with a reactor since the water can be forced through the media where a bag with carbon the water will most often take the path of least resistance, which is around the bag. If you can figure out a way to force the water through the bag (like P-Dub has appeared to do) then they are both effective.

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my last tank without carbon, gfo, or filter socks; just a skimmer (no issues). I however use carbon (lignite from BRS) on my current tank more as an insurance policy and to keep the water from going yellow.

Like @homer1475 mentioned, BRS has a carbon calculator of how much to use for your tank size. (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator)

I'm not sure about what @Waters said about carbon absorbing 'nutrients'; I keep my nitrates around 10ppm for good coral coloration without issue. I have heard of reefers adding carbon and burning their corals due to increased water clarity and thus PAR. Another consideration is carbon dust can irritate your fish (HLLE).

Last edited:

Lostreefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen issues with sps when I ran recommended levels of carbon in a reactor. I have no evidence to support this, but I think carbon stripped something the corals needed other than NO3 or PO4. I still run a small amount occasionally in a bag passively in my sump.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you use?
No need to use anything if you don't want to. I'm more guilty than anyone when it comes to overthinking this hobby. One of the most amazing tanks I have ever seen was a 40B with 2 power heads and a heater. Only maintenance was to clean the glass and do a 5g water change weekly. Well.. it also had lots of colorful acropora acting as filters, too.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back