How much media to use?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up this back up tank and wanted to know how much media I would need from my main display to "instant setup" a 65g? Thank you

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up this back up tank and wanted to know how much media I would need from my main display to "instant setup" a 65g? Thank you

Don't know of any instant setup without going through a nitrogen cycle stage.

Something like dosing Fritz Tubro Start may help the process go faster.

Kinjirra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz or Dr Tims(I used tims)...has the bacteria you need, the media is a place for the bacteria to live on. Rule of thumb is 1lb of rock per gallon and same for sand... My sand ended up being half that due to tank dimensions but aimed for a 2 inch sandbed. Will still have to go through cycle...you can go fishless or with fish but make sure you follow directions or friends will die.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know of any instant setup without going through a nitrogen cycle stage.

Something like dosing Fritz Tubro Start may help the process go faster.

I meant, bacteria filled media from my 4yr old main. People say starting with some "live rock" from a mature tank would be optimal, kind of like a tank transfer start up :)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do that, but you still need time for the bacteria to populate the new media, and food source for the bacteria. All you need is one rock, or a cup of established sand bed to "jump start" the process.

If your doing a tank transfer and not increasing bioload, the current media "rocks" should be sufficient for the current bioload.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do that, but you still need time for the bacteria to populate the new media, and food source for the bacteria. All you need is one rock, or a cup of established sand bed to "jump start" the process.

If your doing a tank transfer and not increasing bioload, the current media "rocks" should be sufficient for the current bioload.

Okay sweet :) what if I were doing a tank transfer... would adding just one established live rock and additional media with bottled bacteria help sps survive the "new system"?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were talking SPS corals. I wouldn't do it.

I personally would never add coral to a tank that wasn't well established. Thats just asking for a headache.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were talking SPS corals. I wouldn't do it.

I personally would never add coral to a tank that wasn't well established. Thats just asking for a headache.

Would you happen to know how reefdudes might have done it with his new frag tank? It seems all is well since he started it, just curious about how he added all those sps and such for a new tank :)

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well some people can do it, look at bubiques(Sp?) frag tank. Same thing, added a ton of SPS on day 1 and all was fine.

Some just have a green thumb(or is it a brown thumb for corals?).

I wanna know the secrets maybe @bubbaque could bless us with how he did it?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read his build thread. No magic sauce really. I follow his build thread.

Some get away with it, some don't. I like my money, so I would not attempt it, specially with the current price of SPS corals.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo it all comes down to food. Don’t run gfo and feed liberally. Don’t have ph or alk swings out side of your normal daily up and down. Do that and you’ll be okay.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo it all comes down to food. Don’t run gfo and feed liberally. Don’t have ph or alk swings out side of your normal daily up and down. Do that and you’ll be okay.

What about bacteria media/diversity? What would be a good way of going about that?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back