How Much Nori do You Feed?

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got four Tangs in my DT. I’ve got two clips for Nori. One big one which is 4” x 2” and one normal clip. I put a whole sheet in the big one and 1/4 sheet in the small one. They completely devour both in about 20 minutes. Should I be feeding them more of it? All the fish in the tank are……well……fat! They are also grazing the rocks constantly.

Jetson

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t get a picture of the Tomini. She hides in the rocks a lot.

EE3558BF-DC7D-4FD5-87A6-9C11B55620B9.jpeg
A4AD7A8E-B21E-45E5-9FFD-C5CA46C52830.jpeg
297425A6-F536-4B2A-96D6-E12E6FDFB8B8.jpeg

Redbeardz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a full sheet every day. I split it in half and put it on two clips. I have 4 tangs and a fox face. I also feed 4 cubes of a variety of frozen once a day and have an auto feeder that feeds a small portion of pellets twice a day. Fat and happy!!

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a 1/4 sheet every other day in a pouch and they barely finish it in a day. One 4” scopas and one 5” foxface and my stupid clown eats it.
Lol! My Chromis are the same. Guess they see everyone eating it, so join in…..it must be good.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
1x a week, usually lasts about 1-2 days before it turns to mush and dissolves/floats. i feed a sheet about 3 long x 2 inches wide

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed half a sheet a day in my "glutton" tank; the other tanks get a smaller square. The only fish I have that do not eat nori are a squirrelfish and a smalltoothed whiptail; everything else, from the dottybacks to the wrasses, the yellow and hippo tangs, dwarf angels, and filefish, devour the stuff.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I feed a 1/4 sheet every other day in a pouch and they barely finish it in a day. One 4” scopas and one 5” foxface and my stupid clown eats it.
What brand do you feed? My dried seaweed disintegrates long before that. Plus the first fish to hit it in a clip tears it loose. I ended up getting little pouch feeders from three little fishies and it controls it some, but sometimes they pull it through the hole and then everyone goes after it while it floats around.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand do you feed? My dried seaweed disintegrates long before that. Plus the first fish to hit it in a clip tears it loose. I ended up getting little pouch feeders from three little fishies and it controls it some, but sometimes they pull it through the hole and then everyone goes after it while it floats around.
LRS green seaweed. It holds up very well.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as they can eat. For me that is 1/2 sheet of TLF per day. I have a Foxface and Tomini tang.

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a piece of pvc and a hair roller,it lasts all day in it with no waste

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just attach mine to the magnetized algae scraper, which is strong enough to hold the sheet while the herbivores rip away at it. My CUC takes care of most of the glass cleaning these days.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started this thread I was concerned I wasn’t feeding my tangs enough Nori. I actually seem to be feeding as much or more than most others. Something else I have noted that might be of interest to some. My tank is still young, and I’ve recently increased the light intensity because I’ve introduced SPS corals to the system. Algae is not a problem “yet” but it is gradually increasing.

I watched my Tangs and how they spend their day and noticed something that kind of gave me an Ah Ha moment. I usually would put the Nori out early afternoon. About noon, the tangs would stop grazing and go over and hang out where the Nori clip is. Once I put it out, they would pretty much destroy it, but then they wouldn’t graze for the rest of the day. Result……algae started getting thicker. Decided to cut them off and see what happened. From the first day of No Nori, they spent the entire day grazing the rocks. After a week now, the is practically no algae left on the rocks in the tank.

I will give them a Nori treat maybe every 3-4 days, but I’m liking what I’m seeing by not over doing the free food. They are doing a better J.O.B. Of keeping the rocks clear of algae. It is fun watching them go after the Nori, but I guess even fish get lazy when they get free stuff. It’s also fun watching then keep the rocks clean.

Jetson

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its almost embarrassing adding nori during feeding time, the tank goes crazy! I have an Atlantic Blue, Black Longnose and Yellow tang with a Foxface that devour a sheet in less than a couple minutes. A Copperband nips at it but I'm not sure its actually eating anything, I think it just wants to be part of the action. Oddly the Blonde Naso has no interest. Myself and others that are active on the forum buy this brand of nori from Amazon. Dried Kelp Seaweed Nori Raw

IMG_20220907_100206871_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220907_100301731_HDR.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back