How much pellets/flake do you feed?

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, trying to get better control on my nitrate/phosphate and am wondering if any of you actually measure how much food you feed?

Im starting at ~1/4 tsp a day for my guys, but am wondering if this is too much. It’s a 50/50 mix of NLS and TDO pellets.

~10 fish in the tank with some aggressive feeders (Sailfin Tang, Melanarus Wrasse, O. Clown, Long Nose Buttterfly). Was feeding mostly frozen, but my levels were too high this past test.

Thanks,

Chris

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the exact amount of ocean nutrition prime reef flakes, but I feed 2 or 3 pinches a day so that everyone gets a couple of pieces, and everyone gets at least one hikari seaweed extreme pellet. My corals and anemones catch a decent amount. I am mostly just trying avoid leftovers. However, phosphate and nitrate are never something I need to lower so heavy feeding is an absolute in my tank if I don't want them to bottom out. My fish also get red nori and frozen food (thought not always daily). My nitrate and phosphate are extremely stable and if anything they only decrease.

For reference I use a refugium, socks, carbon, and no water changes.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, trying to get better control on my nitrate/phosphate and am wondering if any of you actually measure how much food you feed?

Im starting at ~1/4 tsp a day for my guys, but am wondering if this is too much. It’s a 50/50 mix of NLS and TDO pellets.

~10 fish in the tank with some aggressive feeders (Sailfin Tang, Melanarus Wrasse, O. Clown, Long Nose Buttterfly). Was feeding mostly frozen, but my levels were too high this past test.

Thanks,

Chris
I try feeding my fish several times a day. At each feeding I feed multiple small doses. When the fish feeding frenzy begins to slow down I stop. This “titration” method helps me not to dump too much food into the aquarium. I do subscribe to the belief that a well fed fish is likely to be a healthy fish.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really cut down on the amount of flake I feed my fish, but it's really one of their favourite foods and it receives a frenzied welcome when it appears in the tank. I feed it to the fish about once every three days.

I generally feed the fish three times a day, and have seaweed on a clip for the grazers. Lunchtime is typically a small amount of grindal worms; the other feedings are with frozen foods.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that’s not a lot of food for 10 fish.

Many different ways to lower nitrates and po4 without reducing the food.

Billys_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also measure all the food I feed so I can get better control of my nutrients imports.

5x chromis
1x clown
1x firefish

I feed 1 cube frozen, 1/8tbsp pellets, 1/8 tbsp reef roids, 1mL acropower once a day

Nutrient exported is controlled by my skimmer and carbon dosing.

If I see my nutrients rising, I usually up my carbon dosing. If it's falling I either feed more or decrease my carbon dosing.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 10 fish about a 1/2tsp of mixed pellets in the am, same again in the afternoon(auto feeder), then 2 cubes of mixed frozen in the evening.

Heavy in, heavy out.

Never starve the fish, up the filtration if your nutrients are climbing. A plump fish is a healthy fish.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed TDO and Formual 2 pellets 2-3 times daily. I toss in 2-3 pinches each feeding. I will feed different frozen foods randomly, maybe once a week. I also feed phyto 2-3 times a week and Reef Roids once a week. Nutrient control is not an issue in my reef and heavy feeding is necessary to keep no3 and po4 from bottoming out.

izzy1942

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks,

Chris

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back