How much rock is too much rock

Neostyles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if I have too much rock in my 100 galon aquarium.
please advise
4DDDD6F8-446A-400B-996E-D11CE6EA6FEE.jpeg

OP
OP
Neostyles

Neostyles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have more, but after my tank crashed I removed some, figured the fish would like more room and also had room for coral to grow

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice! From a filtration aspect you can't have too much. The more you have the more it may limit you for some fish that need open space, but that's up to you. Regarding what looks good, that's up to you, it's your tank and you're the one looking at it everyday. Detritus accumulation is something to consider for cleaning behind the rock work but again it's up to you for the level of effort you want there as well. IMO you look good on all fronts.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really the only point where it’s “too much” is if it’s inhibiting fish and corals from having room, and if it makes basic maintenance impossible. What you’ve got there looks quite good

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really the only point where it’s “too much” is if it’s inhibiting fish and corals from having room, and if it makes basic maintenance impossible. What you’ve got there looks quite good
Rockscaping affects flow - and the more rock you add, the less flow you have - and the more settling and detritus.

So its not just about space for animals - additional rock after a certain point creates maintenance.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if I have too much rock in my 100 galon aquarium.
please advise
4DDDD6F8-446A-400B-996E-D11CE6EA6FEE.jpeg
Hey, what kind of skin is that? Is that a faux tile panel? Or is that real tile laid on backer board? Seems that would be extremely heavy, so unlikely it’s that. Or none of the above? I really like it! Trying to figure out what type of skin to do on the new build. Think the amount of rock looks good. I’m definitely a less is more type when it comes to aquascaping. Actually more of a minimalist while still providing ample hiding spots for livestock.

OP
OP
Neostyles

Neostyles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, what kind of skin is that? Is that a faux tile panel? Or is that real tile laid on backer board? Seems that would be extremely heavy, so unlikely it’s that. Or none of the above? I really like it! Trying to figure out what type of skin to do on the new build. Think the amount of rock looks good. I’m definitely a less is more type when it comes to aquascaping. Actually more of a minimalist while still providing ample hiding spots for livestock.
That’s a canton stone wall panel I got at Home Depot. I attached the handles to it and comes off completely when I need to do maintenance.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back