How much two part is being wasted?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Very helpful.
I’m hoping I don’t have to make that jump to the calcium reactor, but it seems like it’s heading that way

I cannot see a reason to do that, especially if you are trying to avoid low pH. Baking soda won’t cause significant precipitation.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot see a reason to do that, especially if you are trying to avoid low pH. Baking soda won’t cause significant precipitation.
Many people (including me) run a calcium reactor and have no problems keeping a high pH.

tanksoftwiddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. Switched to sodium bicarbonate/all for reef and alkalinity is staying up, but ph is low (7.7). Switched filter socks to see if I get the same participate. Soda ash was definitely helping keep ph up, but generating a ton of participate. I’ve been using a co2 scrubber, but it’s really just a dual canister from BRS (for carbon, gfo, etc) not labeled co2 scrubber. Only one of the canisters turns purple. Worth the investment of a true co2 scrubber, or are they the same thing with different marketing?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people (including me) run a calcium reactor and have no problems keeping a high pH.
I don’t believe I ever suggested one couldn’t, but they necessarily lack any pH boost and that lack is a good reason for many to look to other methods if pH is a concern.

My point here was that if you want to avoid precipitation issues, one need not look to a reactor as bicarbonate solves that issue by lowering pH, but not by as much as a reactor.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. Switched to sodium bicarbonate/all for reef and alkalinity is staying up, but ph is low (7.7). Switched filter socks to see if I get the same participate. Soda ash was definitely helping keep ph up, but generating a ton of participate. I’ve been using a co2 scrubber, but it’s really just a dual canister from BRS (for carbon, gfo, etc) not labeled co2 scrubber. Only one of the canisters turns purple. Worth the investment of a true co2 scrubber, or are they the same thing with different marketing?

If you mix your additives in fast enough, I think problematic calcium carbonate precipitation is due to the overall pH attained at the day time peak, not the method used to get there.

Note that the transient cloudiness in adding high pH additives is magnesium hydroxide that redissolves as it mixes in. It is normal and not necessarily an indication of problematic precipitation of calcium carbonate.

tanksoftwiddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mix your additives in fast enough, I think problematic calcium carbonate precipitation is due to the overall pH attained at the day time peak, not the method used to get there.

Note that the transient cloudiness in adding high pH additives is magnesium hydroxide that redissolves as it mixes in. It is normal and not necessarily an indication of problematic precipitation of calcium carbonate.
Thanks. As always, greatly appreciate your contributions here!

tanksoftwiddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update. So, in an effort to offset percipitate I switched from soda ash to sodium bicarbonate and started dosing all for reef in conjunction with my 2 part. While my ph did drop, my consumption of 2 part has decreased drastically. Further, I’m not having to dose near as much all for reef as you would think given my previous soda ash dose, which confirms even further how much alk was precipitating out. I also tweaked my co2 scrubber to help with pH.

the other change I made was my evaporation rate. I am still using kalk in my ato, but my tank is enclosed and has a dense canopy on the top. My tank always ran on the hotter side (80-81) and my evaporation rate is low. I purchased a GHL fan from BRS l, got that thing going and not only is my tank staying at a cooler temperature, my evaporation rate has increased allowing for more kalk to be dosed, higher pH and stability. Percipitation seems to be reduced and everything looks really happy.

patience is king in this hobby!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back