How much water does your tank evaporate each week

How much water does your tank evaporate each week?

• 1-5 gallons

Votes: 51 31.7%
  • 5-9 gallons

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • 10-15 gallons

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • 15-20 gallons

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • 20-25 gallons

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 25+ gallons (how much)

Votes: 14 8.7%

• Total voters

Aquaman11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing that the amount of ambient humidity in the home may effect the rate of evaporation. I live in the Chicago area so the heat is on constantly. Unless there is a humidifier in the house, the air can become quite dry which should increase the amount of tank/sump evaporation. Last fall I had a new HVAC system installed and considered adding a whole house humidifier but decided that the tank provided ample humidification. Adding aditional humidification in the past resulted in condensation on the windows.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a humidifier on my furnace that I run in the winter time. Definitely helps keep my 90gal to a little under a gallon a day. Also keeps static electricity in the house down

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water does your tank evaporate each week and how large is your tank? Do you take any precautionary measures to limit the evaporation amount?

I go through about 30 gallons a week on a 240 gallon tank. Feel like that is a lot, but in my past set up, I didn’t monitor it as closely as I do now. My Rodi used to run to my ato non stop refilling it. After I moved, I had space for a small fish room so I switched from a 5 gallon bucket to to 32 gallon brute can. I let it run out before I refill. Which is also WAY better for your RoDi cartridges!
I feel like it varies from month to month. I'm in San Diego, on my 26gal display id guess around 5gal/1-2wks and on my work system (150g), about 20-30. seems like a lot now that I'm reading other responses, but I don't have lids or canopies either

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 Breeder and evaporate 7-10 gal a week. Also surface agitation contributes a lot to evaporation.

OP
OP
biecacka

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CNDReef, yes it sure does. I feel like that is something often overlooked. I lowered my gyre in my tank, mostly because I didn't like how high up it was setting, but it also no longer breaks water and creates noise from doing so.

corey

OP
OP
biecacka

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even more this weekend with this crazy cold mess coming. There won't be any open windows in the house and the furnace is definitely on!!
Stay safe if anyone in the path has to go out.

corey

KirkPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water does your tank evaporate each week and how large is your tank? Do you take any precautionary measures to limit the evaporation amount?

I go through about 30 gallons a week on a 240 gallon tank. Feel like that is a lot, but in my past set up, I didn’t monitor it as closely as I do now. My Rodi used to run to my ato non stop refilling it. After I moved, I had space for a small fish room so I switched from a 5 gallon bucket to to 32 gallon brute can. I let it run out before I refill. Which is also WAY better for your RoDi cartridges!
I was also wondering how much water was evaporating from my 75 gallon rimless and 29 gallon sump. I have a 5.5 gallon ATO that I filled to the brim and I let it run to empty. It took nine days and came out to .61 gallons per day. This is at 78 degrees in an air conditioned room at 70 degrees.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back