how much water is needed to ship a frag?

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water is needed in each bag with a frag for shipping? I have never attempted shipping coral frags before, so totally new to this. My first potential shipment looks like it will be about 6 frags.

Is there a general rule of thumb as to how many frags will fit in a given size box? I was thinking a 6"x6"x6" box with .75" insulation. Probably also a heat pack.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, you need enough water to make sure the coral(s) will stay submerged the entire time. This is a common reason that shipping in bags with the air pressed out is common. Depending on the type of corals you're shipping you may be able to ship them damp instead of submerged, for example: wrapping zoas in damp newspaper.

I would look at where you are shipping to prior to adding a heat pack. For example, here in FL we are already getting highs in the 90s and would rather have a cool pack instead.

OP
OP
R

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replay. Glad to hear only enough water is needed to keep them fully submerged. I've read anything from 80% water and 20% air to just full 100% water in the bag for frags. I think it makes sense to do 100% water with no air to keep bubbles out of the bag during shipping. Should also keep sloshing down, though I don't know if that's a concern or not.

I'd be shipping from Pittsburgh ZIP 15143 to ND ZIP 58703. Weather where I'm at is 50-60F and weather in ND is 50-75F. Good point on checking weather though. I was planning on a heat pack, maybe wrapped lightly in newspaper taped to the top of the box.

As far as shipping them out, I'll be using FedEx overnight. Would it be better to take them to FedEx first thing in the morning 7:30AM, or drop them off in the evening after work 4:30PM?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back