How much water should my tank use for Top off?

reefer_evo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i currently have a IM nuvo 20g tank there is a lot of surface agitation and of course the top is a open mesh lid I currently have two wave pumps running and I go through about 2.5 gallons of top off water a week is that a lot for this size tank? or is it a reasonable amount of water to be using for my ATO?

Reefcare1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently , my open top 28g cube is going through 70 ml/hour @ ~ 3 gallons a week.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems right to me. You have roughly 345 cubic inches of water surface and evaporate about .35 g per day which is about .0010144 gallons per cubic inch. I did the same calculation on my 125 and I get .0015432.

So per amount of surface area you have less evaporation than my tank does.

Geez I'm bored

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i currently have a IM nuvo 20g tank there is a lot of surface agitation and of course the top is a open mesh lid I currently have two wave pumps running and I go through about 2.5 gallons of top off water a week is that a lot for this size tank? or is it a reasonable amount of water to be using for my ATO?
The evaporation rate depends mostly on the water temperature, humidity of the air above the aquarium and the air flow over the water surface. Small systems have a larger exposed surface area than bigger systems and will lose water faster. Measuring salinity will tell you if the ATO is working properly not someone online :)

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a glass top lid, it’ll cut down on your evaporation immensely. I removed mine for a week had to top off every day instead once or twice a week. 20 gallon tank.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems right to me. You have roughly 345 cubic inches of water surface and evaporate about .35 g per day which is about .0010144 gallons per cubic inch. I did the same calculation on my 125 and I get .0015432.

So per amount of surface area you have less evaporation than my tank does.

Geez I'm bored
Oh, now my head is spinning

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO thats about average. As long as you dont have kalk in there IMO its not much of a problem. I tend to keep reservoirs large enough for about 1.5 weeks on my tanks just to make my life easier

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s super easy. If there’s no water on the floor and your salinity is static, then it needs what it needs.

I have the same tank but it’s FW and running only one return on its lowest speed. Your number doesn’t sound crazy.

My tanks draw significantly more water during summer (AC makes the air dryer and Heater, moister) too.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feel like for a 20g tank its alot to use 2 and a half gallons in about 6-7 days
Open top and a lot of surface agitation will increase water evaporation. Outside temperatures and the quality of insulation in your house will also affect evaporation.

So it’s hard to compare your tank with others. Whatever your tank « drinks » is what is necessary.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back