How much would a 5 micron filter sock constrict flow?

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much does a 5 micron sock constrict flow? Is it a significant amount? I am about to add one in. I am going to dose LaCl so I need the 5 micron sock.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an option to consider. I'm running BW Phosphate-E mixed with 1200ml of RODI in a drip using a small pump that pulls water from my sock section after it has been filtered and run it into a 7" 5 micron filter sock.
20221102_165533.jpg
20221102_165615.jpg

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So you aren’t running your overflow directly into the sock. I ask because I thought all the water in the system had to go through the sock lest there be lanthanum all throughout the system. Does the tank cloud running it the way you have it? How long have you been using LaCl? Your way would make things much easier. I got my phosphate-e yesterday so I’m pretty much ready to start. I too am going to dilute and drip.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an option to consider. I'm running BW Phosphate-E mixed with 1200ml of RODI in a drip using a small pump that pulls water from my sock section after it has been filtered and run it into a 7" 5 micron filter sock.
Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Thank you. So you aren’t running your overflow directly into the sock. I ask because I thought all the water in the system had to go through the sock lest there be lanthanum all throughout the system. Does the tank cloud running it the way you have it? How long have you been using LaCl? Your way would make things much easier. I got my phosphate-e yesterday so I’m pretty much ready to start. I too am going to dilute and drip.

You can pump moderate volumes of water through the sock while slowly dripping the LACL into the sock as well. This allows the reaction to take place within the sock, keeping the resulting molecules contained within the sock. I've done it that way on several occasions with excellent results. I'm going to be doing it again next week or so because I've been neglectful and it's time to fix it.

Last edited:

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow used to run into two 7" 200 micron socks but now runs into one 7" Klir Fleece Filter ( 50 micron ) at 900gal/hr. My total tank water volume is 255gal. The 7" sock in the photo is clamped in my Skimmer section near the baffle that goes into my return section and is fed by a 280gal per hr pump that feeds to sock with filtered water from the Klir. I am only running approx 1/3 of my overflow GPH to the sock to allow the Phosphate-E more contact time with the water entering the temporary sock. My tank DOES NOT cloud up at all. My drip takes approx 10hrs for the 1200ml drip. I am running 6ml of Phosphate-E to 1200ml of RODI. I dose every other day and I am on my 4th dose as we speak. I increased my nutrients when I had a Dino outbreak a while back and it looks like my 250lbs of rock is now PO4 saturated because my po4 will drop about 0.08-0.10ppm the day after the drip but when I measure the PO4 the day of the drip prior to dripping my PO4 has gone up about .05-.06ppm.
So yes all the Lanthanum is going to the sock.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I’ll use this idea. My overflow pipe goes to within about 3 inches from the floor of the sump. Surely I can use a powerhead to get a couple hundred GPH flowing into the sock I’m dripping LaCl in. I thank you more than you know.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I’ll use this idea. My overflow pipe goes to within about 3 inches from the floor of the sump. Surely I can use a powerhead to get a couple hundred GPH flowing into the sock I’m dripping LaCl in. I thank you more than you know.
Just a word of advice. Make sure you read and follow the instructions for Phosphate-E closely. I have read were people mistakenly interpreted the dosing instructions incorrectly. When it says 1ml will lower PO4 by 1ppm per 4gals which is correct, some individuals mistakenly read it as 1ml will lower PO4 by .1ppm and ended up overdosing there tank by a factor of 10. So be carful.
Example: My total water volume is 255gal so to lower my PO3 by .1ppm I would dose 6.375ml.
255/4*0.1=6.375
Remember take it slow. IMO 0.05-0.1ppm decrease in PO4 per dose is the safe way to go.

OP
OP
Fishy888

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 120/4*0.1=3ml. I might just dose 2.5ml as a test run the first couple of times. If all goes according to plan then I’ll dose the full 3 ml. Thank you again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back