How much would a glass lid affect ph

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much can I expect the ph of my reef to decrease with a tight fitting glass/ acrylic lid? I’m having some humidity issues in my house and would really like to decrease it in anyway I can. The tank is an AIO Waterbox so there’s no real space for gas exchange with a lid. Is there anyway I could reduce the evaporation without hurting my ph?

CrayHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have glass tops on my 180 and my ph stays between 8.1-8.3. I have an open sump in a cabinet and point some power heads to the surface.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much can I expect the ph of my reef to decrease with a tight fitting glass/ acrylic lid? I’m having some humidity issues in my house and would really like to decrease it in anyway I can. The tank is an AIO Waterbox so there’s no real space for gas exchange with a lid. Is there anyway I could reduce the evaporation without hurting my ph?

That's a complicated question, but I would not assume the effect is always to reduce pH. If the room CO2 is high, it might raise pH.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t help ya on the ph issue but if you decide to go that route use lexan aka polycarbonate “it will kill your lighting” it’s not the best optically clear there is or use glass.. acrylic will warp and look horrible after a couple days.. glass would honestly be your best bet it’s easier to clean and won’t warp. Polycarbonate scratches so easy with just a rag.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back