How necessary is a sump? What is the average cost?

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i really want to set up a reef, but I was wondering, do I really need a sump for something under 40 gallons? The main limiting factor for me is cost. i have a finished basement, so I can go as big/heavy as I want, but ima teenage soon 2 be reefer so I don't have unlimited cash. What would be the cheapest way to do a nano with a sump, under 200$? if you can get it under 200$ and have enough extra to add a sump, feel free. this is basically a build thread.
Here Are the things I need advice about:

1. Protein skimmer
2. heater
3. tank size
4. Sump/stand (if applicable)
5. Light (for beginner corals, I don't need T5)
6. ATO
7. Anything else I forgot

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump is not required by any means. A sump does give a couple of perks though - You can hide the equipment you listed in the sump, as opposed to having it in the display tank. The sump also adds additional water volume which is nice as well.

I started with an AIO (All in one) tank, where there is no sump, and it was a great way to figure out if I really liked the hobby, and if I wanted to invest more later. It also keeps things a bit more simple, as there is less to manage (in my opinion).

As far as getting set up cheap for a nano aquarium, here a couple ideas:

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its as necessary as your desire to hide your equipment. If you dont mind seeing your equipment hanging on your tank, then you dont need it.

Upvote 0

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I were to set up a smaller tank that was budget friendly I would definitely consider an AIO. many have features that basically encompass what you get with a sump anyway (mini skimmer, space to leave a heater, etc) and if you add a premium light you end up with a solid little system.

Upvote 0

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a 10 gallon glass tank as a sump. So the cost is not high. You need an overflow on your 40 gallon (you can drill it out on an ordinary glass aquarium). You will need a small pump for a return to your display tank.

So you run a tube to your sump. You can put a filter sock on where the water from the overflow comes out of the tubing. Filter socks remove particulates from the water column.

You can have a skimmer in the tank. You might want to look for a small used skimmer.

Heaters are good to put in the sump. Heater thermostats can be unreliable and end up stuck on and cook your tank. You can put a controller on your heater.

For light, if you are not fooling with photosynthetic corals, then all you need is something that just gives enough light to look nice.

An ATO is a good idea. Autotopoff.com sells some nice inexpensive ones and the pumps for them.

I don’t know if it is in your budget, But an RODI unit is REALLY REALLY handy. They give you control over your RODI water for your top off and you can mix your own salt water. They end up paying for themselves in a year or two.

Also, if you can, you might think of going up a bit over 40 gallons. A glass 55 gallon or a 70 gallon is not that much more expensive and the cost of equipment for these tanks is not much higher.

Also, you will need powerheads for your display tank to give water movement.

Upvote 0

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're not essential, but I'm picky and don't want to look at equipment in my display, so I won't have a tank without a sump.

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Blue Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump cost is like anything else in the hobby. You can go low cost, essentials only for less, or all the bells and whistles for thousands. I personally use regular aquariums and silicone baffles in them. I have even used a rubbermaid tote with no baffles on my 36 gallon for 4 ½ years now. It depends on your tastes and budget.

Upvote 0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone with no sump, I'll just comment on that part.
Sump is not necessary but gives a lot more flexibility (which you likely will start wishing for at some point down the road).

I run 40 gallons with no room for sump so just 2 HOBs and all equipment in the tank. If I were starting from scratch I would at least CONSIDER:
-- research sumps and overflows and if your tank is even drillable
-- maybe even drill tank now before it's full for your preferred overflow and just plug that for now. *Not sure if this really makes sense but just thinking aloud

*AIO seems nice alternative but you lose tank volume

Upvote 0

SoundsDigital

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got two tanks, one 20 and one 40 gallon. No sump in either, though do have a false acrylic back in my 40 gallon which hides the heater. Both running canister filters, pick up on the 40 is behind the false back and return is in front to ensure good circulation. Also got a rudimentary filter chamber in the back and an air stone powered skimmer which does a good job.

Upvote 0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others said, I would go with an AIO and they make inserts (like this) and you can even make them yourself.

However, I noticed you put a protein skimmer and you don't need one for a tank that size :)
I humbly disagree on not having a skimmer. I have a skimmer on all my nano's and my 40 cube. The type of skimmer is important. But just the gas exchange aspect alone is a great reason to have one (higher PH) I do water changes every week-ish... But I wouldn’t want to be in a dark alley with the stuff my skimmer pulls out...
But to the point, the OfferUp app or craigslist or Nextdoor, what ever is popular in your area can be your best friend for used equipment and cheap.

Upvote 0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not essential at all. My tank is very old and I never had a sump. Don't worry about and you can add one later if you want. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Upvote 0

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a deal maker or breaker but sumps also make water changes easier. I just turn off the equipment and return pump and drain/fill the sump without bothering the inhabitants of the tank.

Upvote 0

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the IM Lagoon 25 without a rear chamber, so to add a sump my cost are.
Overflow 100 dollars yes it can cost less.
Sump 200 yes it can be less
ATO matching 100
Return pump 90 dollars
Skimmer 120
Next time I buy the rear chamber, I really want to buy the IM Lagoon 50.

Upvote 0

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run a 60 litre cube without a sump (or skimmer) for 18 months. I use a small Eheim canister filter loaded with bio media, GFO, & carbon.

Without a sump or skimmer, changing water is the most practical way to reduce nitrate so you have to balance how much your feed against how much water you want to change.

Upvote 0

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I e been running a 55 gallon for over a year using a canister filter, HOB refugium and skimmer. As long as you use enough live rock in the tank (roughly a pound per gallon), you shouldn’t have a problem.
The most important thing is stable water chemistry. It was hit or miss until I started using a management system (apex with trident). Once you KNOW what’s happening with your water, you’re only a good light away from growing most any coral.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back