How NOT to treat vermetid snails. Why gluing vermetid snails is a BAD IDEA!

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share some updates with ya'll on my vermetid snail treatment - video below. Anyone who tells you using super glue to cap off the heads I honestly think haven't done it themselves or are trying to troll you.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to share some updates with ya'll on my vermetid snail treatment - video below. Anyone who tells you using super glue to cap off the heads I honestly think haven't done it themselves or are trying to troll you.

So I didn’t watch the video, but why do you think it’s people trolling?
move done it and it worked fine enough.
what’s your issues with it?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I want to see or hear is someone that has experienced a tank overran by vermetid snails and what it did to their livestock and/or corals.

I myself do not fret when I see one or a few, same a I don't fret over bristleworms.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to have a reef tank infested with vermetid snails. All over the place, just like my mini feather worms. Out of all seriousness I think people over react to these poor guys, they never bothered any of my corals. But, they did bother the world out of me.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I want to see or hear is someone that has experienced a tank overran by vermetid snails and what it did to their livestock and/or corals.

I myself do not fret when I see one or a few, same a I don't fret over bristleworms.
I've had them in my tank for awhile. Never really gave them much thought for years.

Recently I did notice some oxide zoanthids that were partially closed up due to a mucous net from a vermetid snail. I have them grow everywhere, under the heads of my hammers and along the base of my favias. I've started crushing them when they are close to things I don't want them growing between.

I also noticed they grow very well in plumbing as well. I had a return pipe that I hadn't cleaned for years on a 120 gallon FOWLR which was pretty thick with them.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some but the numbers are very low these days. I only have them in hidden areas.. I have several pest eating wrasse and a Copperband so something seems to be eating them but not sure who.

The only time I had tons of them was in a nano that probably got fed too much and had no natural predators.

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It sounds like some of you guys have been lucky, these things keep encroaching on my frogspawn and brain corals and basically have been causing them to recede. I didn't realize what the problem was until a few months back when someone pointed out what they were to me. On my Candy Cane corals...they've basically choked out entire heads which is when I said enough is enough.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just watched video and didnt hear you or see you show why gluing is bad idea ,so why is it bad idea?

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched video and didnt hear you or see you show why gluing is bad idea ,so why is it bad idea?
Fair enough, I was hoping by showing what I did it would be reason enough. I do have some footage from a couple days later when basically a couple corals fell apart (when taking off the super glue) and became frags through the process. I'll try and get that up in a day or two and post it for you guys.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chances are, you got super glue on the coral. I glue coral down all the time. Only time I had an issue was when glue was on the coral. Had to remove it quick.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a tiny dot of glue to cover the opening, not smother the entire tube. You shouldn't be getting glue all over your coral.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, I was hoping by showing what I did it would be reason enough. I do have some footage from a couple days later when basically a couple corals fell apart (when taking off the super glue) and became frags through the process. I'll try and get that up in a day or two and post it for you guys.
Why would you take the glue off? I have glued them before. I broke off the top, stuck something inside to poke and glued the hole shut. I never took the glue off. It worked fine on the ones I could reach. The ones that got out of had were the ones in inaccessible places.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My tank was overrun by them a year or so ago. Everywhere. All over. I am a noob so was worried I had a really bad pest. But I sort of gave up and did pretty much nothing about it. They are mostly all gone now. Now I just think of them as just another phase of my tank maturing. Corals and fish were all ok like you say.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im new to saltwater tanks but i didnt actually see nothing wrong or any negative thing happen to anything with what you did tbh.
Only thing i did think was you using a big bottle of glue with a big opening where glue comes out and you smoothered it on but what i read about superglue in our tanks when it hits the water it speeds up the chemical reaction and forms a ummm cant think a word to use lol ( goes hard) so other than wasting more glue i dont think any negative thing will happen in the water,but i never glued no vermitted snails or anything shut in reef tank so no experience,only glued some gsp other day to back glass is all.
But if got glue on the growing part of coral or any living tissue then maybe that be bad yeah

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you take the glue off? I have glued them before. I broke off the top, stuck something inside to poke and glued the hole shut. I never took the glue off. It worked fine on the ones I could reach. The ones that got out of had were the ones in inaccessible places.
Heh, yea, let me post that other video I took in a few days, you'll see why. It looked horrible. There were just so many clumped together...doing mini spot gluing just didn't make sense, they're stacked onto each other in the dozens.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, yea, let me post that other video I took in a few days, you'll see why. It looked horrible. There were just so many clumped together...doing mini spot gluing just didn't make sense, they're stacked onto each other in the dozens.

Ok be intetesting to see video in few days as im sure sometime in future i will have to deal with the dreaded vermitted snail ^_^
So as much info i can get the better

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 month battle, and 6 month decline. Crashed in about 1 yr 1 month. For like 6 months every other day I was removing these. Until one day I decided it wasn't even worth doing anymore they were spreading so fast. This is one millepora started from tiny frag I saved as a reminder how evil they are. I have three 5 gallon buckets full of mini colonies, frags and bigger colonies.

Attachments

• reefroach2.jpg
    reefroach2.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 138
  • reefroach1.jpg
    reefroach1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 156

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can definitely get out of control. I'd say it's not typical, but clearly possible. I recommend crushing them at the base. Keep the #'s down and as your tank matures, they tend to go away.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue didn't work, chemicals didn't work, and very carefully crushing didn't work. Didn't try bumblebee snails. Would see emerald crabs breaking them off and eating once in a while. The thing about crushing them is that if you don't break them off perfectly they just spread more. Female vermitids can have 1000's of babies in their tubes at any point. If you mess one breakoff up you just spread micro babies all over. It was a 10 yr tank only thing I added new was one lfs turbo snail. I had snail qt for a while too.

Back