Votes: 16 4.7%

• Total voters

SmugglersReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Roids once a week and chopped table shrimp once a week. Once in a while I will pick up a couple of live clams at the grocery store. That’s a real treat for them. I have an anemone that would eat everyday if I fed it. 100 gallon mixed reef running GFO, Matrix Carbon in a bag, and a good skimmer.

Just had to trim the corals after 3 years because corals were crashing into each other.

F4D15783-29D7-4DBA-B414-0A31EC4456E0.jpeg
77D12446-5512-4AE8-A997-60D854558A08.jpeg

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed with the auto feeder once a day mixed with the pellets reef roids and reef chili. I mix it all together and it drop feeds the fish and the corals plus the critters that may eat the leftovers. Plus I feed the fish and corals every other day homemade frozen fish and coral food.

kkelly007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spot feed with Reef Roids (long turkey baster) three times a week. I have predominantly SPS, but also have scoly, blasto, hammer and favia. Corals are flourishing.

Millwright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my corals everyday.
I have my auto feeder set up to feed twice a day. In my feeder I have pellets and flake mixed with reef roofs and reef chili.

JohnnyBeagle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you guys feed duncans? i've got one with 30 or so heads and i feed it pellets once a week. it's been growing like mad and survived all of my rookie mistakes so i must be doing right by it but curious what other peoples feeding regimen is
Duncans were my first corals and yeah they are massive now. I just broadcast AB+ daily and target feed them once a week and they just keep growing

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does Reef Chili raise phosphorus the same way Reef Roids does? I have both, and rotate them. Adding a little Ocean Magik phytoplankton with Roids or Chili every 3rd day for my coral frags, plus whole tank gets Reef Frenzy or frozen mysis once a week. Clowns get flakes/pellets every other day or so. Only 10 g tank so trying to not overfeed!
We feed our fish a large amount of our reef chili mix every morning and I throw in a few pellets in the afternoon. I don’t know what kind of export system you have but my tank is 125g with total volume about 150. My phosphates were .006 yesterday with Hanna checker. I have both a refugium and a skimmer. I feed reef roids very sparingly, certainly not more than once or twice a month. I’ve never had a small reef tank like that so I can’t really say how much you should feed but it sounds to me like they are getting more than enough.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans were my first corals and yeah they are massive now. I just broadcast AB+ daily and target feed them once a week and they just keep growing
Wow, my first 2 head Duncan was fine then dead, like overnight. I got another one that was really happy then suddenly closed and won’t open but not dead. Where do you have yours placed as far as light/flow?

JohnnyBeagle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, my first 2 head Duncan was fine then dead, like overnight. I got another one that was really happy then suddenly closed and won’t open but not dead. Where do you have yours placed as far as light/flow?

Mine are around mid tank with moderate flow and high light (thanks XR30 G5 Blue). Not sure on par value but they're loving it

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are around mid tank with moderate flow and high light (thanks XR30 G5 Blue). Not sure on par value but they're loving it
Maybe mine isn’t getting enough light? I did catch the fire fish napping at it. That file fish isn’t mine, it was loaned to me to get rid of some aptasia but going home tomorrow

FredLayne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often is everyone feeding corals?

I’ve been dosing aminos nightly and spot feeding reef roofs, reef chili, etc about once a week.
You actually don’t need to feed corals the nutrients in your water from feeding the fish will feed the corals. Travis from fish of hex preaches this all the time it usually results in overfeeding and high nutrients in your reef which leads to other problems pretty quick that being said I feed a SMALL amount of reef roids about once or twice a month for my own pleasure but I stay on top of my maintenance and a good skimmer and fuge are a good idea if you do that

SmugglersReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You actually don’t need to feed corals the nutrients in your water from feeding the fish will feed the corals. Travis from fish of hex preaches this all the time it usually results in overfeeding and high nutrients in your reef which leads to other problems pretty quick that being said I feed a SMALL amount of reef roids about once or twice a month for my own pleasure but I stay on top of my maintenance and a good skimmer and fuge are a good idea if you do that
I like this method. I’ve cut down considerably on feeding the corals because of bubble algae and slight cyano. I have tried a refugium 3 times in my Trigger sump and I just can’t get it to grow. What is the secrets?

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you guys feed duncans? i've got one with 30 or so heads and i feed it pellets once a week. it's been growing like mad and survived all of my rookie mistakes so i must be doing right by it but curious what other peoples feeding regimen is
Never and it is groving good I have to trim it every half year

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this method. I’ve cut down considerably on feeding the corals because of bubble algae and slight cyano. I have tried a refugium 3 times in my Trigger sump and I just can’t get it to grow. What is the secrets?
Add some iron

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you don’t feed your corals and they still thrive? Is mandatory feeding only necessary once you get into the intermediate and harder SPS corals and NPS corals?

My opinion, only NPS need fed.

3 1/2 years; fed the fish (LRS Reef Frenzy), dosed 2-part, and did weekly water changes. Nothing else added.
49040187027_e8003acf06_h.jpg

FredLayne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your water parameters and lighting. I’ve also heard of people not having enough iron in the water column for chaeto and dosed chaeto gro but idk a whole lot about that I’ve never had that issue

jkr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with reef roids as they are known to make PO4 skyrocket. I may remember to feed mine once a month but we feed high quality home made food with high quality fresh seafood and everything is thriving fish and corals alike.
You can find current pics on my build thread by clicking on the banner by my profile pic.
I have only soft corals, I don’t feed them, they seem fine, do you switch the skimmer off ? Changing the subject , has anyone out there had problems with RedSea support ? I have a new set up max e 260, which went well until until I switched the skimmer pump ( very loud) Red Sea support have been no help at all !!!

jkr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion, only NPS need fed.

3 1/2 years; fed the fish (LRS Reef Frenzy), dosed 2-part, and did weekly water changes. Nothing else added.
49040187027_e8003acf06_h.jpg
I have soft corals, I do not feed them, they are doing well !

SmugglersReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your water parameters and lighting. I’ve also heard of people not having enough iron in the water column for chaeto and dosed chaeto gro but idk a whole lot about that I’ve never had that issue
Can I ask you please for my trigger sump that has a small refugium, what size light do I need? I was hoping the 18 watt cheato max light would work since the area is 14 x 6 inches. I do not want spillover. Thanks

Back