Votes: 16 4.7%

• Total voters

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often is everyone feeding corals?

I’ve been dosing aminos nightly and spot feeding reef roofs, reef chili, etc about once a week.
Be careful with reef roids as they are known to make PO4 skyrocket. I may remember to feed mine once a month but we feed high quality home made food with high quality fresh seafood and everything is thriving fish and corals alike.
You can find current pics on my build thread by clicking on the banner by my profile pic.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! What kind? any pics?

No pictures yet. Here is what we got, blackberry jamz acorpora, muy verde birdsnest, aussie golden eye chalice, Jason fox grafted rainbow montipora, and green bubble anemone. The anemone is driving me crazy. I had it in a great place, our larger clown was touching it and the smaller clown was coming out of his hiding place to check it out. In the middle of the night, it decided to move under a rock...we could not see it. We used a power head to try to move him, well that did not work, he/she only move about one inch away from the flow.

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No pictures yet. Here is what we got, blackberry jamz acorpora, muy verde birdsnest, aussie golden eye chalice, Jason fox grafted rainbow montipora, and green bubble anemone. The anemone is driving me crazy. I had it in a great place, our larger clown was touching it and the smaller clown was coming out of his hiding place to check it out. In the middle of the night, it decided to move under a rock...we could not see it. We used a power head to try to move him, well that did not work, he/she only move about one inch away from the flow.
ahhhh the lovely life of anems.... hahaha I personally don't have one yet, but have heard this to be the case time and time again. They just do what nems wanna do. Sounds great though, be sure to post pics when you get some! I just have Zoas/LPS in my tank rn, but when I get my bigger tank I am thinking of giving SPS a try

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with reef roids as they are known to make PO4 skyrocket. I may remember to feed mine once a month but we feed high quality home made food with high quality fresh seafood and everything is thriving fish and corals alike.
You can find current pics on my build thread by clicking on the banner by my profile pic.
Totally agree. I blend up a bunch of seafood and everyone eats good! As for reef roids I drench the corals in that stuff maybe once a month about 10 mins before a water change. I would never add that stuff without doing a water change

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Totally agree. I blend up a bunch of seafood and everyone eats good! As for reef roids I drench the corals in that stuff maybe once a month about 10 mins before a water change. I would never add that stuff without doing a water change
What do you blend and what are you feeding? I have zoas, Euphyllia, Galaxia, and GSP. I use reef roids to spot feed maybe once a week and I do have pretty high PO4. I tried to feed them mysis once a week but they don't seem interested in it (wish or my corals)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never directly fed my corals. I feed a mix of quality homemade, and prepared frozen. I feed enough that it all gets blown around, and eventually everything eats.

So in reality everything gets fed daily, I guess. lol

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you blend and what are you feeding? I have zoas, Euphyllia, Galaxia, and GSP. I use reef roids to spot feed maybe once a week and I do have pretty high PO4. I tried to feed them mysis once a week but they don't seem interested in it (wish or my corals)
Seaweed, clams, shrimp, mussels, squid, octopus, scallops, ect. All from the Asian supermarket. Blend it with a little rodi water and put into ziploc bags, flatten and freeze. Then I just thaw a piece and throw it in the tank, no spot feeding for the corals.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours is fresh frozen tuna, uncooked peeled shrimp, squid, oysters, scallops, fish eggs
Dry ingredients are high quality pellets, pelleted algae, garlic enriched dried red and green algae, I can’t remember the rest but it is nutritionally complete for carnivores, omnivores and herbivores. We grate the fish frozen with grating disk of food processor. That makes fairly large pieces of fish so we further process because all our fish have fairly small mouths though a couple might be able to handle bigger pieces. Then I hand mix (yes with my hands) the dry ingredients into the fish meat mixture and spoon it into quart sized ziplock bags and flatten till
It is a relatively flat layer, this way it’s easier to break off a piece the correct size for your aquarium. Cost less than $150 for a six month or so supply. Now I have friends asking me to make them batches and seriously my tank is thriving with no supplements. I’ve got fish, all types of coral, clam, anemone, multiple shrimp, crabs, hermits and snails.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just feed my reef. Corals can eat from the water column same as the fish.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve been dosing aminos nightly and spot feeding reef roofs, reef chili, etc about once a week.

Every day for me. I made my own food that has aminos, reef roids, etc. in it so when fish get fed, corals get fed. I've never target fed any corals. Everything is doing amazing so far.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

aminos daily
phyto daily
spot feeding once a week

I keep going since my phosphates don’t raise above 0.05

duberii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed the same pellets that I feed my fish with daily- Is it a lot? Yeah probably. Never had any issues with gut rot or anything- if they're not hungry, they just don't actually consume the food and push it off. I have some nice growth from all the LPS that I feed daily- my acan just sprouted 7 heads from 1.5 heads in a matter of weeks, my blasto grew ~15 heads in a handful of months, and my dendro sprouts like a head every month now. My tank is way understocked so I can get away with the extra feeding, but I know most tanks couldn't handle anything near the amount of overfeeding I do.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back