how often do clownfish lay eggs

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pair of clowns that laid eggs, and over the course of like 3-4 days while fanning and taking care of them, they seemed to eat them as well. any ideas why? this was a month ago, and they have not laid eggs since. will they do it again, and how often? what is the cycle. once a year, once a month, every 10 days????

OP
OP
P

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like i said, its' been more than a month an no more new eggs.. how come. will they ever lay again? was this a fluke? will it only be next season now that this season seems over?

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like i said, its' been more than a month an no more new eggs.. how come. will they ever lay again? was this a fluke? will it only be next season now that this season seems over?

just a practice run if you will. It takes time for them to get it right! Give it time and keep feeding them a LOT! Mine get def 5-7 times aday

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine lay eggs as a function of how heavy I feed, and what I feed. I had fresh fish eggs for a while and those seemed to help spawning. Lately I have been less heavy handed and they haven’t spawned in 6 mo.

just a practice run if you will. It takes time for them to get it right! Give it time and keep feeding them a LOT! Mine get def 5-7 times aday

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anything in the tank change after they laid the first time?
I remember that anytime I added a new fish or adjusted the rockscape, they wouldn't lay for an indeterminate amount of time.
Hopefully they do again soon for you.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Between ten days and two weeks. I don't think they eat them, they hatch in a couple of days. I can find the fry if I turn off the pump and look closely at the surface.
This guy with his eggs is about 29 years old and still cleaning eggs.
They look like they are eating the eggs, but they are cleaning them

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a pair of clowns that laid eggs, and over the course of like 3-4 days while fanning and taking care of them, they seemed to eat them as well. any ideas why? this was a month ago, and they have not laid eggs since. will they do it again, and how often? what is the cycle. once a year, once a month, every 10 days????
Most of my pairs lay every 10 days like clockwork. 8 days to hatch, two days to recoup and back to it.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Influence of brooder diet and seasonal temperature on Reproductive efficiency of clownfish Amp...PNG

from: Influence of brooder diet and seasonal temperature on reproductive efficiency of clownfish Amphiprion sebae in captivity

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bicinctus spawn every 11 to 12 days.
In the past I had ocellaris, percula, and clarki spawning equally often and predictably.
My current percula are far more inconsistent in their schedule and may add long breaks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back