How often do fish recover from swim bladder issues?

Rubberdam604

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 31, 2019
Messages
20
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6-line wrasse is suffering from a swim bladder issue; lying on it's side, often floating in a vertical position with its head oriented up, the whole shebang. I was away at conferences for a few weeks, and I think my roommate wasn't able to properly maintain things while I was away (aka water parameters weren't great). The wrasse is pretty mobile and still tries to eat, but he is having issues and his stomach appears distended.

Assuming water quality and infection are the issues, what are the chances that the fish recovers? I've done some water changes and I think that's had an improvement on his demeanor, but that may be subjective bias. Have any of you had fish with swim bladder issues that have returned from the brink?

Fish is definitely hungry, but I'm refraining from feeding for a couple days (it was a recommended treatment modality online).

Any advice is always appreciated! I have had him in the tank for 2+ years and he's about 3-4 inches, very brightly coloured.
 
Wanted to provide a video for you all to see what I'm talking about. The fish doesn't seem to use his tail and there is the slightest white extrusion in the anus (not visible in the video really). Not sure if that helps at all.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new