How Often Do You Brush Your Teeth?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious on how often you brush your teeth….of if you do it at all.

Brushing Teeth.jpg

No, I’m not talking about these teeth, but the teeth on your overflow!

My tank water level is right at the lower edge of my canopy. So when everything is clean, with a little wave action in the tank, I can see water and air at this canopy juncture. However, when the teeth on my overflow start to accumulate gunk, the air portion disappears, and all I see is water. Once I clean the teeth, I notice my water level in my sump increases by about an inch or so, with the overflow now allowing this excess water to flow quicker. I’m not sure I would have noticed this if my water level wasn’t right at the level of my canopy, where I can see the level in my DT has risen.

So, do you clean your teeth, and if so, how often? And how do you do it?

Boxofpurplerocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you should ask. I’ve notice the same thing, mostly the water level in the sump thing, and have been brushing my teeth a few times a week. I have a toothbrush that sits on top of the external overflow box that I just leave there and use to brush whenever I think of it

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What?
I just gave mine a deep cleaning/scraping after almost 22 months of running yesterday, lol.
I had 4 or 5 that were completely calcified with coralline.
Will keep an eye on them now as my 2 urchins can not get at it.

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question, as I was thinking of this the other day looking at my overflow doing a WC. I noticed the water level was getting a little high in my display since the teeth on the overflow were getting a little plugged with gunk. Now I take a look at it once a month or every other WC to see if it needs a little dental care. Haha! I usually use a soft nylon brush to clean.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 40g, the teeth seem to get draining issues faster, so more often. On my 210g, I will take out the weir if I notice too much algae. No real specific times, on the 40g it can be twice a week or once every month. Depends.
On 210g, less frequently, maybe once every 3 months.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a lot of salt buildup around mine. I have a plastic tray thing I use to keep the salt from falling in the tank while I brush it off once a month.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered why my water level in the tank increased a little about a month ago. Looked at the overflow and the teeth were clogging...i scrubbed then with a brush and all is good again

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back