How often do you change your filter media?

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150l tank with an external fluval 407 filter. In the filter I have a bag of carbon, phosphate remover and ceramic rings.

How often do you change these?

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150l tank with an external fluval 407 filter. In the filter I have a bag of carbon, phosphate remover and ceramic rings.

How often do you change these?
Carbon and phosphate removers every 1-2 weeks. Ceramic rings don’t get changed since you’re trying to colonize bacteria on them. I’d just give them a fresh water rinse every now and then so they don’t get too dirty.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change carbon when water turns yellow. Only reason I use it. Phosphate remover is used when and only when needed. My biological resolves it normally for me. Don’t use rings but as mentioned those never get changed. I don’t even bother rinsing them. Rather use filter floss and change that as often as needed.

Haven’t run a canister since the 90s but I only opened it up to change the floss and rarely changed the carbon. Otherwise ran unaltered including not changing the water it contained. That carbon contains bacteria therefore why remove it although I’ve been known to occasionally rinse carbon thinking that might unclog the pores externally and don’t believe it would disturb the bacteria yet not sure that even needed. Less tinkering sometimes works better.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic rings don’t get changed since you’re trying to colonize bacteria on them. I’d just give them a fresh water rinse every now and then so they don’t get too dirty.
Very dangerous advice.....

Filter media is only rinsed in tank water, not tap water, not ro water, in saltwater tank, in NO form of freshwater....

By doing that, you instantly kill all the bacterial population on filter media.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very dangerous advice.....

Filter media is only rinsed in tank water, not tap water, not ro water, in saltwater tank, in NO form of freshwater....

By doing that, you instantly kill all the bacterial population on filter media.
Man I’ve been working in fish stores for years and I’ve always rinsed all media on RODI freshwater and never had any issues.
everyone might have their own thoughts but doing this for years and not having issues works for me instead of putting all of that media in tank without rinsing is a very bad advice as some of the media has leftover trace elements that aren’t good for most of the life in a reef tank.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respect your opinion and experience, that is a beauty of this hobby, everyone i allowed to to whatever they want with their tank....

For me, rinsing filter material from saltwater tank in freshwater is very low on recommendation list, primary because simple fact that most people when read "freshwater rinse" will simply use tap water..... And don't know how is your tap water, mine is full of cloramine, and everything, so this will be instant kill to all bacterial population on that filter media....

But, again, if it works for you, again, that is the beauty of hobby, so many ways to achieve great results.....

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respect your opinion and experience, that is a beauty of this hobby, everyone i allowed to to whatever they want with their tank....

For me, rinsing filter material from saltwater tank in freshwater is very low on recommendation list, primary because simple fact that most people when read "freshwater rinse" will simply use tap water..... And don't know how is your tap water, mine is full of cloramine, and everything, so this will be instant kill to all bacterial population on that filter media....

But, again, if it works for you, again, that is the beauty of hobby, so many ways to achieve great results.....
I clearly stated on the post above that I use rodi water, never once said the words tap water so it’s on you to assume that I just rinse media with tap water.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reacted to your original post - freshwater.... not a mention of rodi untill i said that this is not good idea...

But, again...not mine tank... ;)
You use tap water for freshwater tanks? Yikes. Not anywhere did I mention tap water :zipper-mouth-face:

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs told me not to ever clean it unless the flow slows down or the tank starts getting cloudy. He also said keep the carbon and phosphate filters out. My tanknis brand new btw and i have a 407.

I did clean it 2 weeks after cycling but just used the water in the canister to was everything off and once done filled it back up with fresh salt.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a filter sock with carbon and phosguard in mesh bags inside of the sock.
I replace the filter sock daily, replace carbon every two weeks, and replace phosguard every five days.

I have ceramic rings and bio balls in my sump too. Those just get a rinse ever few months but I’ve been thinking of just getting rid of them all together. I don’t think they’re doing anything my live rock isn’t doing.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole "problem" is because you DIDNT mention anything else but freshwater....

And, yes, for freshwater tanks, i use.... tap water. What else should i be using? Petrol? ;)
It’s not on me for you to assume that freshwater is strictly tap water.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I’ve been working in fish stores for years and I’ve always rinsed all media on RODI freshwater and never had any issues.
everyone might have their own thoughts but doing this for years and not having issues works for me instead of putting all of that media in tank without rinsing is a very bad advice as some of the media has leftover trace elements that aren’t good for most of the life in a reef tank.
Been doing the same since the 80s. Even chlorinated tap isn't going to affect the biological bacteria from being exposed a few seconds. All I do these days is add Prime based on tank capacity just to play it safe but have forgotten a few times and no ill effects. Back in the 80/90s that didn't exist yet chlorinated tap did. Back then I didn't know of RO. Today the net just repeats itself as if newly learned is laid in stone and to quick to call others out without the history to know better.

Last edited:

squirrelbaffler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t run any filter media aside from poly. Change once a week.

Attachments

• FCBEED8F-CE8A-44ED-B27B-A7686A33AC11.jpeg
    FCBEED8F-CE8A-44ED-B27B-A7686A33AC11.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 57
  • CF324CE7-403A-478F-BCCF-5F3DC6C99B33.jpeg
    CF324CE7-403A-478F-BCCF-5F3DC6C99B33.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 48
  • DBA58924-EE89-4A5E-91E9-DD4BA02F7695.jpeg
    DBA58924-EE89-4A5E-91E9-DD4BA02F7695.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 4F95CB98-95FA-45AF-8F0F-16840D9B6D79.jpeg
    4F95CB98-95FA-45AF-8F0F-16840D9B6D79.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 48

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing the same same since the 80s. Even chlorinated tap isn't going to affect the biological bacteria from being exposed a few seconds. All I do these days is add Prime based on tank capacity just to play it safe but have forgotten a few times and no ill effects. Back in the 80/90s that didn't exist yet chlorinated tap did. Back then I didn't know of RO. Today the net just repeats itself as if newly learned is laid in stone and to quick to call others out without the history to know better.
Love when people tell me I’m giving bad advice like I haven’t kept multiple systems at our shops and also at my own home. The only reason I like to rinse the ceramic is because overtime they’ll get really gucky and full of detritus which will wear out the GFO much faster and will cause your nitrates to rise which is totally fine but that defeats the purpose of using the other media on the first place. A lot of the times I’ll rinse my skimmer collection cup with tap water if I’m out of RODI and still have no issues either.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love when people assume that anything i write is "internet based knowledge".... Also, i totaly adore when "i keep multiple systems" argument is used.....

Guess what, me too. For a long long time....

And what can u say to someone who rinse skimmer cup in tap water and sees no issues?

I wash all of equipement in tap water, and, believe or not, you dont see issues simply because its impossible to have issues when u wash piece of plastic in tap water.... Specialy if this piece is not in tank, or have any contact with tank watee.....

But, apologies, i spend too much time on this topic already, so eod for me ;)

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love when people tell me I’m giving bad advice like I haven’t kept multiple systems at our shops and also at my own home. The only reason I like to rinse the ceramic is because overtime they’ll get really gucky and full of detritus which will wear out the GFO much faster and will cause your nitrates to rise which is totally fine but that defeats the purpose of using the other media on the first place. A lot of the times I’ll rinse my skimmer collection cup with tap water if I’m out of RODI and still have no issues either.
I think an obsession with RODI evolved to the point many believe that a drop without it or a TDS above zero is doom. Plus everyone doesn’t live in Flint where the tap will literally kill you. Some of us have pretty good tap and highly unlikely to damage anything when just doing a quick rinse to remove detritus.

Bacteria exposed for a few seconds to chlorinated tap isn’t going to die regardless if fresh or salt. It’s not like marine organism are more fragile.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love when people assume that anything i write is "internet based knowledge".... Also, i totaly adore when "i keep multiple systems" argument is used.....

Guess what, me too. For a long long time....

And what can u say to someone who rinse skimmer cup in tap water and sees no issues?

I wash all of equipement in tap water, and, believe or not, you dont see issues simply because its impossible to have issues when u wash piece of plastic in tap water.... Specialy if this piece is not in tank, or have any contact with tank watee.....

But, apologies, i spend too much time on this topic already, so eod for me ;)
I don’t remember mentioning you or saying anything in that sense until you said I was giving “dangerous advice” when you were the one implying I was referring to tap water when I said fresh water. Seriously such a waste of a comment.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back