How often to feed chocolate chip star.

  • Thread starter Thread starter exnisstech
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
20,727
Reaction score
33,721
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a CC star so my Harlequin shrimp has food but between 3 tanks I'm able to keep a supply of asterina stars for it. The CC is actually a cool critter so I'm keeping in my my 40g breeder in the basement. So far it will eat anything I feed it, nori, mysis, pellets and frozen raw shrimp. I'm wondering how often I should be feeding it? I have no fish that it has to compete with so it can take it's time eating. I've never seen it leave a trace of food behind so waste isn't a concern.

Munching on shrimp now.

PXL_20250207_213640333~2.jpg
 
*following
Interested if you can keep it fed enough to not go after your corals!
 
*following
Interested if you can keep it fed enough to not go after your corals!
That is a risk but this is more or less an overflow tank with stuff that I've had to move out of other tanks for one reason or another. I wouldn't put it in one of my main tanks for sure.
 
When I had a large group of them, I was feeding 2-3 times a week. It was mostly 10mm carnivore pellets, frozen krill or extra urchin diet (something I was developing at the time). Rarely I'd throw in cut up smelt if I thawed too much for the snakes :P
 
When I had a large group of them, I was feeding 2-3 times a week. It was mostly 10mm carnivore pellets, frozen krill or extra urchin diet (something I was developing at the time). Rarely I'd throw in cut up smelt if I thawed too much for the snakes :p
You can mix them?
 
Mix what? Urchins and starfish? I wouldn't unless it's a big, well decorated tank. I had a couple of groups of Protoreaster spp. to attempt spawning. They were kept in single-species setups.
I meant the starfish.
I thought they were prone to cannibalism.
 
I meant the starfish.
I thought they were prone to cannibalism.
I've never had issues, just made sure they were well fed. Even when I had them in fairly high density (1.3/sqft) there were no issues at all. They would try to steal food from each other, but it never resulted in injury.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new