How old are you?

How old are you in human years (just in case lol) ?

• 5-9 years old

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10-19 years old

Votes: 30 5.8%
  • 20-29 years old

Votes: 126 24.6%
  • 30-39 years old

Votes: 151 29.4%
  • 40-49 years old

Votes: 114 22.2%
  • 50-59 years old

Votes: 65 12.7%
  • 60-69 years old

Votes: 22 4.3%
  • 70-79 years old

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 80+ (Young with a lot of experience) ;)

• Total voters

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48. Started only a year ago. Late start I guess from the responses on this thread. Better late than never!

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
19. Started 9 years ago. Many seek to keep saltwater fish due to the fact that they are more colorful than freshwater fish however the biggest difference is the amount work and knowledge that has to be taken into consideration when wanting to care for these beautiful animals. When starting a saltwater aquarium you have to figure out the basic needs and care requirements of the aquarium. For example the bigger the aquarium the more work and money that needs to be put into it. But the upside to that is that you won't have as much water parameter swings like you'd have in a smaller aquarium. This happens because of evaporation. When the water evaporates salt gets left behind and causes the salinity or specific gravity level which is the amount of salt in water to rise up and cause a whole bunch of swings that puts stress on the fish and invertebrates. The most crucial and important thing anyone must know when coming into this hobby is that patience is the key to a successful tank. The more patient you are the less chance you will have of your tank having any problems. Because most first time saltwater aquarists start with basic saltwater fish and keep it to just the fish no corals, they tend to think they can rush into it and add fish in immediately and not wait or even not realize that a lot of saltwater fish have certain water parameter needs. When setting up any saltwater aquarium suitable for a variety of species and a heavy bio-load the most important needs would have to be a good skimmer, good maintenance and good flow for aeration. What a skimmer does is it removes organic compounds such as uneaten food and wastes like fish poop. Weekly or frequent water changes are highly recommended for first time aquarists because they restore and maintain a balanced aquarium by removing and lowering the levels of harmful chemicals as well as certain elements (for corals). Water chemistry is so important in keeping a saltwater aquarium because the tiniest of swings can impact the water chemistry and raise or lower other things being tested. Keeping a saltwater aquarium takes a lot of time and effort on your part but it truly a beauty of nature just to have the worlds tiniest ocean in your own home.

Chad c.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
26 years old. I've had Fresh water aquariums since 2013 and have had salt water since january this year.

DisneyMatt10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 27, and I've only been in the hobby for about a year or two now. I've been doing more research than probably necessary to make sure that I was actually ready to make the splash into saltwater. Super excited to get my first tank up and running!! :)

Cayenne1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in salt water for over 55 years.

Abbreviated history:
- Started collecting from tide pools in Maine around 1960. (found out you cannot keep salt water creatures in slate bottomed, metal rimmed tanks)
- Learned how to successfully set up salt water bio filters when working in Holland in the mid-70's.
- Became PADI certified so I could collect fish/coral in the Arabian Gulf and Red Sea while working in Saudi Arabia. in the 70/80/90's.
- Became a PADI instructor so I could teach others to dive and enjoy the wonders of the reefs.
- Traveled the Pacific to dive and photograph in the 70/80's, (Coral Sea, GBR, Palau, Maldives, Truk, etc.).
- Joined a NatGeo expedition to film Great Whites with David Doubilet in 85 (we where the first to get out of the cage to be in open water with the sharks, too much Fosters)
- Bred and raised Clownfish from the Arabian Gulf in the late 80's.
- 1st Gulf War wiped everything out when a Scud missile struck nearby killing power (scary)
- Now retired in TN and can no longer dive, but still keep tanks. Working on raising Mandarins now.

It is a wonderful hobby that you can enjoy a lifetime.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 65 started fresh in my teens. Got away from fish after I joined the army. Dived in the Pacific (Okinawa, southern Japan, Philippines, Guam, Australia. Then dived in Germany and the Baltic. Moved to Wisconsin and started Fresh and now in Salt
65 years old

Gpettit721

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 next month and will be 15 years in the hobby and addicted to the hobby the last 5 once got my first sps.

Isaac_P._Martinez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35 years on this blue marble. My family always had FW aquariums around the house when I was young. Angle fish, fancy guppies and such. Put together my own FW when I was 13. Moved on to SW soon after, one thing that I have seen and experienced is that failure is common, success is stressful and patience and planning and humbleness out weight bragging and vanity.

You are caring with for individual and unique creatures of our endangered oceans and reefs. Every life is precious and every death is an opportunity to reflect on what you did to cause it.

Take your time, quarantine your fish, buy tank breed when available and remember to step back and enjoy what you have created.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in salt water for over 55 years.

Abbreviated history:
- Started collecting from tide pools in Maine around 1960. (found out you cannot keep salt water creatures in slate bottomed, metal rimmed tanks)
- Learned how to successfully set up salt water bio filters when working in Holland in the mid-70's.
- Became PADI certified so I could collect fish/coral in the Arabian Gulf and Red Sea while working in Saudi Arabia. in the 70/80/90's.
- Became a PADI instructor so I could teach others to dive and enjoy the wonders of the reefs.
- Traveled the Pacific to dive and photograph in the 70/80's, (Coral Sea, GBR, Palau, Maldives, Truk, etc.).
- Joined a NatGeo expedition to film Great Whites with David Doubilet in 85 (we where the first to get out of the cage to be in open water with the sharks, too much Fosters)
- Bred and raised Clownfish from the Arabian Gulf in the late 80's.
- 1st Gulf War wiped everything out when a Scud missile struck nearby killing power (scary)
- Now retired in TN and can no longer dive, but still keep tanks. Working on raising Mandarins now.

It is a wonderful hobby that you can enjoy a lifetime.
Very, very impressive bio...but the important thing is are you older than me?...I'm 72 and thought I had the record...:p

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm 21 and just starting out that's why I joined
Welcome to the most difficult and rewarding hobby on the planet...first of all: read, read , read...how big is your tank?...a really good one is The Nano Reef Handbook by Chris Brightwell (Amazon)...and Nano Reef Aquariums by Albert J. Thiel who is a member of this forum...it can be downloaded from his website...anyhow, please go very slowly, no impulse buying...we all make mistakes, but the more that you know, the less mistakes you will make and save lots and lots of $...R2R is a wonderful forum and will help you every step of the way if you ask and ask questions...good luck...enjoy the hobby...slowly!:cool:

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the most difficult and rewarding hobby on the planet...first of all: read, read , read...how big is your tank?...a really good one is The Nano Reef Handbook by Chris Brightwell (Amazon)...and Nano Reef Aquariums by Albert J. Thiel who is a member of this forum...it can be downloaded from his website...anyhow, please go very slowly, no impulse buying...we all make mistakes, but the more that you know, the less mistakes you will make and save lots and lots of $...R2R is a wonderful forum and will help you every step of the way if you ask and ask questions...good luck...enjoy the hobby...slowly!:cool:

Also...a good idea is to join a club...if there isn't one in your area, we have one mostly on facebook...The Catskill Reef...look us up and join...we have some 35 year veteran reef guys...don't worry about meetings...we haven't had one yet...but lots of info and people who know...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back