How old are your gyres?

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering how long people have been running their gyres for. Can these be considered a premium piece of equipment yet like tunze or have they not been around long enough. I know 100 series had its issues but 200 series(my one) seem pretty good.

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 230s running for abt 9 months, never cleaned them. Did not notice any increase in noise or such. Well maybe 9 months not long enough heh.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 16 months now though I clean every 3 months. Well swap out the cages and rotors anyway

U

User1

View Badges
A pair of XF250's here that have been running for a year. However, took them both off line last weekend. They run fine, move a lot of water. No issues with either and never came home be it from work, night out, or work travel a couple weeks at a time. Always running.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a total of 4 when they first came out. Gave up after a couple of years as they required too much maintenance, had programming issues etc.. Just not the quality level that one would expect for that amount of money.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have one XF-250 running for 18 months now. I keep telling it I'll clean it, honest...

Seriously, I'm very happy with it. I was very concerned about reliability with it. 18 months isn't enough time to conclude much other than it's at least decent. I hear it ramp up every once in a while but, by and large, it's quiet.

nub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the original XF-130's that's been running for a little over 4 years. The controller failed about two weeks past the 12 month warranty and was replaced no questions asked other than proof of purchase. A couple weeks after having the original controller replaced I replaced that with the advanced controller and have had no other issues.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the original XF-130's (got it when they first came out) that is being pair-controlled by an XF-230 + controller (also got when they first came out). I've had to replace bearings/bushings a few times but overall they keep running pretty well. The quality and durability of the 230 is much better than the 130, especially the rotor, so I'd guess the 330 might even be improved over that.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine in July. Do not buy these. They are extremely hard to take apart (I destroyed a motor block the first time). After careful disassembly and cleaning and replacing some of the parts I still can't get them to consistently work. They tend to work for a bit then just stop spinning correctly, then I have to fiddle with them. I love the flow they put out but I'll never buy another maxspect pump. $600 or so and they just cause me hassle. Edit, these are XF-230s.

Oddly enough my "budget" Icecap gyre still works perfectly and its far older.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have owned allot of gyres and i have owned some several years... I was in beta on them and there originally was some issues but they have been taken care of.

They have the best flow of any pump out there.

That said I do not think they are as high quality as Tunze. Tunze is German engineering and manufacturing. I have a Tunze pump that is very old and still works.

Gyres are very good quality though.. My only complaint is they can be hard to take apart and put back together.

Personally I use mainly Gyres and I also have some Tunze.
Tunze makes some of the best pumps for smaller tanks.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought mine in July. Do not buy these. They are extremely hard to take apart (I destroyed a motor block the first time). After careful disassembly and cleaning and replacing some of the parts I still can't get them to consistently work. They tend to work for a bit then just stop spinning correctly, then I have to fiddle with them. I love the flow they put out but I'll never buy another maxspect pump. $600 or so and they just cause me hassle. Edit, these are XF-230s.

Oddly enough my "budget" Icecap gyre still works perfectly and its far older.
That's weird I never found them hard to clean at all, I just pop off the cage and replace with clean ones.

OP
OP
Dlealrious

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned allot of gyres and i have owned some several years... I was in beta on them and there originally was some issues but they have been taken care of.

That said I do not think they are as high quality as Tunze. Tunze is German engineering and manufacturing. I have a Tunze pump that is very old and still works.

Gyres are very good quality though.. My only complaint is they can be hard to take apart and put back together.

Yup tunze seems to be the "gold standard" of reliability for pumps, i guess we wont know for a few years still if the newer 200 series gyre will last 4+ years for most people or if people will just get fed up with pulling them apart to clean.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 150s for 3 years. Still going strong. I have 2 sets of everything so I swap out rotors and cages in about 2 minutes and soak the old ones in vinegar. Once a month I do this because they get covered in coraline.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one original 130 that is still going but it has about worn through its last set of bushings.

I also have a new 300 that's been running for a week. And o emote on backorder.

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a icecap 1k gyre for about a year and half, it sits on a darker side of my tank and doesn't get much direct light so doesn't get coraline on it so I've never taken it apart to clean it, it still runs strong and is silent. The controller is easy to use and the pump is awesome overall, and much cheaper then the maxspect.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have an Icecap 1k. I spoke to the Coralvue guy at RAP about the difference between the Icecap and the Maxspect. Turns out the motors are nearly identical. The Maxspect is more substantial (heavier body). But.... my Icecap has been running nonstop for a year. It’s been cleaned twice and even had a hydnophora try to attach to it. It’s a well built little thing!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Back when we had our 500g (2002), the only pumps we could really find were Tunze’s. They were big and ugly but, in my mind, there is nothing as long lasting and well built as a Tunze!

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just wondering how long people have been running their gyres for. Can these be considered a premium piece of equipment yet like tunze or have they not been around long enough. I know 100 series had its issues but 200 series(my one) seem pretty good.
I went 3 lazy years without a motor cleaning on the 150. All I did was swap cages and sometimes soak the motor in vinegar. I swear I thought I would've had it forever but it was time for an upgrade. Once cleaning I finally gotten to take the motor out and the shaft was split.

I think the 200 series is the best gyre, I had just switched to the 350 and am not so much excited about its design. The magnet is not strong at all. Doesn't come with extra cages or bushings, and overall the new flow guards aren't all out to what it "looks" to be. They upped aesthetics but took some key components away that had made the gyre worth it to me. I've used tunze pumps when I first got into the hobby, without a doubt the best power head but theres nothing like the performance on a gyre pump. The streams are insanely powetfull, good for a large system.

Overall I think the maxspect gyres are the best pump on the market, I will never have a system running without atleast one. The pricing is also fair especially if you catch them on sale.
Look at the size of the tunze impeller LOL
Resized_20190211_132432.jpg
20190328_200614.jpg
Screenshot_2019-03-22-19-46-42.png
20190322_195041.jpg

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran half of a XF230 in my 24g for two-and-a-half years (ie. on paddle removed). Worked like a champ and loved it. So much so that I upgraded to the new controller when it came out.

Unfortunately, the coral in my tank grew so large that even with the gyre running just one paddle and turned down to 20% there was nowhere in the tank I could place it without being so close to a coral that the coral was unhappy from too much flow. So I pulled it out about 6 months ago and replaced it with a small Tunze 6040.

Like the gyre too much to get rid of it though...

Long story short, I put in my 'equipment closet, and will be pulling it back out for use -- along with a new second xf230 gyre -- in the new 65g I am in the process of setting up.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back