How Old Is Your Reef?

• Total voters

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know how old the average reef is on R2R. However this is kind of a loaded question, so here are some stipulations:

Must have been able to support corals and or fish during this "tracking" time.

Any "restarts" from dinos, bugs or parasites that required you to break down and start back up with new rock, live or dry does not count.

If you battled something but corals and fish stayed that is fine, we all have had our fights.

Let the poll begin!

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul's tank, the oldest home reef, is excluded from your poll due to constraints. cleaning out a tank or moving it doesnt reset anything. even transferring current contents into a new glass structure isn't a new reef, and any skip cycle reef that used pet store live rocks covered in real coralline and fanworms wasn't a new setup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul's tank, the oldest home reef, is excluded from your poll due to constraints. cleaning out a tank or moving it doesnt reset anything. even transferring current contents into a new glass structure isn't a new reef, and any skip cycle reef that used pet store live rocks covered in real coralline and fanworms wasn't a new setup.
I added the high end option for Paul actually. The thought behind the constraints is how old is the avg reef that is set up and left alone. I get this could exclude some, maybe I can adjust the original post a bit. There, that should help a bit.

Last edited:

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any "restarts" from dinos, bugs or parasites that required you to clear out the corals and or fish then "starting" back up doesn't count.
Well I don’t know how I feel about these stipulation. I had to remove my fish for 76 days due to ich. Corals stayed in tank and did good. Also I did a rip clean where I removed everything from the tank for about 4-6 hours while I cleaned it and removed my sandbed to get rid of my Dino’s. Yes it was a reset but I didn’t have any cycle and corals looked better right after.

I voted 1-2

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t know how I feel about these stipulation. I had to remove my fish for 76 days due to ich. Corals stayed in tank and did good. Also I did a rip clean where I removed everything from the tank for about 4-6 hours while I cleaned it and removed my sandbed to get rid of my Dino’s. Yes it was a reset but I didn’t have any cycle and corals looked better right after.

I voted 1-2
If there was no cycle then it counts. I made a few changes to help out.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted 1-2 years although recently fully upgraded my system to bigger system.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My seam blew on my old tank and I switched everything (rock wise) to a larger tank with some dry rock added. Guessing that means I'm only at 2 years (that's what I voted) but the rock is 8 mabey 9 years old. Same with most of the substrate.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LR is 8 billion years old

Give or take

Since the earth is around 4.65 billion years old (depending on who you talk to), that means your LR originally came from outer space!

Do you know how much you can get for true 'out-of-this-world' live rock?!!! ;)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If moving doesn't count, then my reef was only in one place, in the same tank for 40 years. :)

It seems the average in your poll is under one year which is not surprising. :oops:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been at this since about 1987. Many of the rocks, and therefore the life on them, are from my original tank. In that time, I've had between 1 and 5 tanks going continuously. So I guess 34 years and counting

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If moving doesn't count, then my reef was only in one place, in the same tank for 40 years. :)

It seems the average in your poll is under one year which is not surprising. :oops:
I was surprised, I want to know more on why there aren't more older tanks.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered about that too. There are almost no old tanks and almost all of them are Noob tanks.
Where are all the tanks that started when I started in the early 70s?

None left!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back