How Old Is Your Reef?

• Total voters

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered about that too. There are almost no old tanks and almost all of them are Noob tanks.
Where are all the tanks that started when I started in the early 70s?

None left!
I suspect our salty veterans haven't seen or done the poll yet. I would say we have our fair share of 20+ reefers here...though I doubt any would reach the Mile High Salt Creep Life Time Achievement Award that you would get Paul!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just older than anyone here. :oops:

There seems to be 10 between 10 and 15 years old. Thats pretty good.

Quote:
Id like to see the ones over 20...Suspect

This ones fifty.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect our salty veterans haven't seen or done the poll yet. I would say we have our fair share of 20+ reefers here...though I doubt any would reach the Mile High Salt Creep Life Time Achievement Award that you would get Paul!
Or those old tanks were upgraded or moved. I could say my system LR after a heat wave crash in 2002 is almost 20 years in my possession...I have a piece of Fiji LR that still have a couple of large feather duster worms from then.

Current tank with corals and fish is just over 10 years.

UK softy bloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to know how old the average reef is on R2R. However this is kind of a loaded question, so here are some stipulations:

Must have been able to support corals and or fish during this "tracking" time.

Any "restarts" from dinos, bugs or parasites that required you to break down and start back up with new rock, live or dry does not count.

If you battled something but corals and fish stayed that is fine, we all have had our fights.

Let the poll begin!
Coming up to 17 years, removed everything for a few hours to remove the sanded in 2013 not touched since.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered about that too. There are almost no old tanks and almost all of them are Noob tanks.
Where are all the tanks that started when I started in the early 70s?

None left!

When I got into saltwater fish, it was 40 plus years ago. Everything purchased came from a Jenkintown Pennsylvania store called Martin's Fish. Of course there was no internet, only your LFS. Live rock, never heard of it. Of course I didn't live in the Florida Keys.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one of my reefs started in 1997. Major issue from when this video was taken is some Lysol overpsray got into the tank when Covid 19 started last year (long story but when stuff started looking bad I was assured by cleaning management nothing was used then asked cleaning staff and they were spraying around it :( ). First to go were all the mushrooms then zoas then plate corals and stylo, T. squamosa and one adult and 3 baby turkey wing clams. Fish, all Echnoderms, leathers and chalice were unaffected.

rhdoug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine turned 22 this summer. The anemone has been in there for 19 years, and the breeding occelaris pair has lived in it for 16 years. Sorry for the blurry pic.
IMG_2798.JPEG

USCfan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current tank is around 10 years old and I had some of my fish/coral for 16 years. Been posting on reefing forums since 2005ish.

Sadly I lost most of my old coral/fish back in 2011 from a heater crash. Crazy thing is what survived that crash I still have.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back