How safe are coral dips and can they cause cancer?

michael giordano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is why risk it, there are other dips on the market that don’t have the risk? So I use the other dips and with success. I’m my opinion it’s incredibly silly to immerse myself in debatably life threating chemicals for coral pest removal, when there are great alternatives.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is why risk it, there are other dips on the market that don’t have the risk? So I use the other dips and with success. I’m my opinion it’s incredibly silly to immerse myself in debatably life threating chemicals for coral pest removal, when there are great alternatives.

This isn't a fair statement not knowing what is in the other dips. These retailers refuse to divulge what is in their products. I'm actually more comfortable using a product were I know what's in it versus a product I have no idea. I'd be willing to state that there is as much possibility of getting cancer from the Bayer product as all the other dips on the market. Translation, unless you're drinking this stuff (any of the dips), you're not going to get cancer.

michael giordano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a fair statement not knowing what is in the other dips. These retailers refuse to divulge what is in their products. I'm actually more comfortable using a product were I know what's in it versus a product I have no idea. I'd be willing to state that there is as much possibility of getting cancer from the Bayer product as all the other dips on the market. Translation, unless you're drinking this stuff (any of the dips), you're not going to get cancer.
that’s fine who knows what is “fair”, you take your chances and I’ll take mine.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. Employees at the EPA, who are trained scientists didn’t think roundup is safe and generally agreed that it causes cancer. Employees at the world health organization, who are trained scientists, concluded that roundup is not safe and probably causes cancer. The company that produces roundup paid people to lie about the products safety. Scientists have since published peer reviewed studies showing that populations exposed to roundup for years have an significant increase in non-hodgkins lymphoma. A jury (that likely had scientists on it) looked at all that evidence and simply agreed that the science has proven that roundup is not safe.

I’m not even going to respond to the question about whether it makes sense to poison our food supply with a carcinogenic substance so that giant corporations don’t have to employ people to weed their fields because that’s such a ridiculous position and so far off topic...

Nope, some scientists at the EPA, and some employees at the World Health Organization thought that glyphosate caused cancer. And I can assure you that very, very VERY few juries have any scientists on it. They are almost automatically peremptorily struck, and I know this firsthand.

And, as noted previously, your food supply is intentionally "poisoned" (your word, I wouldn't use it because it's incorrect) with a known carcinogenic substance, because to do otherwise would put the population at severe risk of an often fatal poisoning from a naturally-derived neurotoxin.

I'm bowing out, I'm afraid this sort of discussion comes down to our species' known poor understanding of risk, which leads folks that haven't studied it to be influenced by declarations that something (anything) isn't "safe", which is in and of itself not an acceptable term.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, some scientists at the EPA, and some employees at the World Health Organization thought that glyphosate caused cancer. And I can assure you that very, very VERY few juries have any scientists on it. They are almost automatically peremptorily struck, and I know this firsthand.

Weird. The jury I sat on had two scientists and a doctor. Just because you were struck from a jury once in your life doesn’t mean there’s some conspiracy against scientists.

The WHO statement says: “In March 2015, IARC classified glyphosate as “probably carcinogenic to humans” (Group 2A). This was based on “limited” evidence of cancer in humans (from real-world exposures that actually occurred) and “sufficient” evidence of cancer in experimental animals (from studies of “pure” glyphosate). IARC also concluded that there was “strong” evidence for genotoxicity, both for “pure” glyphosate and for glyphosate formulations. The IARC Monographs evaluation is based on the systematic assembly and review of all publicly available and pertinent studies, by independent experts, free from vested interests. It follows strict scientific criteria, and the classification system is recognized and used as a reference all around the world. This is because IARC evaluations are based on independent scientific review and rigorous criteria and procedures. To reach these conclusions, IARC reviewed about 1000 studies. Some of the studies looked at people exposed through their jobs, such as farmers. Others were experimental studies on cancer and cancer related effects in experimental systems.”

I get that you disagree and think that roundup is safe, but the majority of scientists at WHO/IARC that looked at the data voted to classify it as “probably carcinogenic”. That’s not some, that’s most.

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 21 peer reviewed studies that show glyphosate causes cancer. It's been banned in most European countries for a while now because of the science. In the US people are finally waking up to the remarkable spikes in cancer in people and animals (dog cancers have radically spiked since the use of glyphosate on lawns they are regularly exposed to and for food like corn they are exposed to in their kibble) since its prevalence. Glyphosate has been recorded in levels that far exceed what the EPA considers safe in corn, wheat and many other fruits and veggies. It's in most beer, wine and OJ even. The fact that bayer initially said it was just fine doesn't mean a dang thing. They once marketed heroin as a preferable non addictive treatment for pain and morphine addiction, and big pharma has a long history of sending products to market that later turn out to be bad for people. We are simply late to the show in banning it because so much of our govt is owned by big pharma and monsanto.

I would recommend anyone who uses pesticides as a dip uses gloves. It just seems like good sense.

Last edited:

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not just "dump it down the drain". Landfills are lined with clay soil so all the garbage can't leech out. Dilute your off label coral dip with lots of water and pour it in your driveway. Sunshine volotizes the agent and makes it almost safe. Pour it down the drain, your kids drink it in a month. Common sense people please.

Please do not pour it on your driveway or in your yard if you have an animal that has any kind of regular exposure to that area. Better yet, just don't use this crap. Can't even dispose of it without worrying about contaminating something and we're discussing whether or not it's harmful? Common sense people.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now that I definitely agree with (wearing gloves). Why not wear gloves when handling chemicals?

The EPA and FDA have examined Roundup and concluded it is safe for use within acceptable guidelines. The fact that some scientists think its more dangerous than that, and the fact that some European countries have banned it, does nothing to change this fact. Particularly when some of the same European countries have literally banned screwdrivers and butterknives.

There is a lot of room in between wearing gloving as a sensible precaution and concluding that there is a global conspiracy by evil chemical companies to poison the general public for profit.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does cooking food release toxins and carcinogens?

The short answer is “yes,” based on numerous government studies around the world (including the U.S. CDC, NIH, EPA, etc.).

Oh Noes

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same concept of the result of flushing all the antidepressant pills down the toilet instead of throwing them away. It is a little strange that a 5 year old with a developing brain has elevated levels of the stuff in their body, having not ever taking the pill.

Good point. I will probably start dribbling this on my driveway. If the sun breaks it down, that will be a win overall for everyone.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back