CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair of photosynthetic Gorgonians from KP Aquatics that will be delivered today for my 310 gallon mixed reef. Are gorgonians safe to coral dip? Should I dip gorgonians? Looking for past experiences with these and whether or not you dipped yours or not and how they reacted. Should I acclimate them to my tank or just place them where I want and hope for the best?

I typically use Red Sea dipX but I also have Bayer for if and when I get sensitive acros.

I have a candelabra purple gorgonian and a purple plume bush gorgonian coming today.

17626DD7-5ED8-4F47-9054-DB79E4D8FD04.jpeg
C7E37FB2-19C3-4AD6-9AA4-A32996CC505F.jpeg

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 photosynthetic gorgonians (3 pictured). I did a coralrx dip per directions on bottle when received. I've had them about a year. No problems, except when I had an Eibli angelfish (not reef safe). It loved picking at them. They were all closed up tight. Once he was removed they all came back.

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a few gorgs and have dipped, for one gorgs of this type are very very hardy and should have no problem at all with a quick dip! Gotta make sure your coral is clean after all!

Just temperature acclimate, drip acclimate as usual and to maximize success

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought the same exact one from the same place and dipped mine in Ocean Revive. Was absolutely fine. I find Gorgonians very hardy overall. Going through treating my tank for parasites and the gorgonians show zero problem at all with the medications.

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 photosynthetic gorgonians (3 pictured). I did a coralrx dip per directions on bottle when received. I've had them about a year. No problems, except when I had an Eibli angelfish (not reef safe). It loved picking at them. They were all closed up tight. Once he was removed they all came back.

I keep a few gorgs and have dipped, for one gorgs of this type are very very hardy and should have no problem at all with a quick dip! Gotta make sure your coral is clean after all!

Just temperature acclimate, drip acclimate as usual and to maximize success

Bought the same exact one from the same place and dipped mine in Ocean Revive. Was absolutely fine. I find Gorgonians very hardy overall. Going through treating my tank for parasites and the gorgonians show zero problem at all with the medications.

Awesome good to hear guys! I appreciate the responses. Don’t have to worry as much about dipping them now. Now I just need to choose if I want to use my Red Sea or bayer dip.

Do you guys reduce your tank lighting for a few days when first placing or just leave them as is? I know they tend to prefer more intense light similar to sps from what I’ve read

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome good to hear guys! I appreciate the responses. Don’t have to worry as much about dipping them now. Now I just need to choose if I want to use my Red Sea or bayer dip.

Do you guys reduce your tank lighting for a few days when first placing or just leave them as is? I know they tend to prefer more intense light similar to sps from what I’ve read

I don’t reduce lighting. In my experience, the more light and more flow the better. Especially flow, it helps them feed from the water column and most importantly helps them to shed their waxy coat every week or so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back