How safe are rocks which had Aiptasia in the past

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some secondhand live rocks for sale but according to the seller, his tank had aiptasia in the past which he got rid of with aiptasia x several months ago and they didn't come back (the rocks are currently in the tank). The reason I'd like some live rock is to add some diversity into the tank but I'm dead scared of aiptasia and flatworm infestation(the seller did say there are no flatworms). I could bleach the rocks but that would defeat the purpose and getting a dry rock instead would be better.
Does it sound too risky to get? Is there a way to get rid of aiptasia on the rock while keeping at least some lives on the rock?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can visually inspect them before you buy them I would do that. Put in QT bucket after for a few weeks if possible. Honestly don't think I would personally risk it after everything I have done to try and rid them in my tank. Vinegar might do the trick though.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time you take in live rock, you run the risk of multiple pests. It’s part of the risk/reward. Also, just because rock was in a tank, doesn’t make it necessarily live. Yes, it will have some life on it but it could have been dry rock a couple of weeks ago so I’d personally inspect the rock first.

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m apistasia free and honestly I picked up frags with it had about 30 in tank and within a week of iodine injecting them I haven’t seen one for a month. 2 dollars a lb or 9 at a store ? If it’s a chain store they prob have apistasia anyways with no warranty and no returns. I say if you have another tank then put them in there for a week and watch and if anything pops up treat it as a separate system before moving it into your display. Ps do a freshwater dip and give it a shake and see if any pests come out, is it does use a dip and dip it as if it was a coral

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, not very and I wouldn't risk it again.

I often purchase frags from local hobbyists. This one time I purchased a ton of chalices from this dude that just got over aptasia. I couldn't see any aptasia on the frags. I threw them in the frag qt and never observed any aptasia over the next month.

Day came to put them in the tank and about 5 hours later a little aptasia peeked it's head. I have never had a break-out but that head has turned into 5 or so around the tank. I have to periodically kill them with a majano wand.

Aptasia are resilient as h*** and almost have a mind of their own sometimes.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, not very and I wouldn't risk it again.

I often purchase frags from local hobbyists. This one time I purchased a ton of chalices from this dude that just got over aptasia. I couldn't see any aptasia on the frags. I threw them in the frag qt and never observed any aptasia over the next month.

Day came to put them in the tank and about 5 hours later a little aptasia peeked it's head. I have never had a break-out but that head has turned into 5 or so around the tank. I have to periodically kill them with a majano wand.

Aptasia are resilient as h*** and almost have a mind of their own sometimes.
And they are quick! I had one that I swear knew I had plugged the Majano Wand in and the second it came near him, he was gone.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And they are quick! I had one that I swear knew I had plugged the Majano Wand in and the second it came near him, he was gone.

Sheesh same here. I just ordered one and they kept closing up asap as soon as I got close with the wand. Using the majano wand for small aptasia is an art form.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input! I think I'm gonna chicken out on this one.
From what I read, aiptasia seem to be tougher than most other life forms on a rock and if any dip is strong enough to kill it, I'd imagine it would probably be the last one to die.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back