• 10 - The Holy Grail

Votes: 28 6.2%

• Total voters

Bastray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a 6 right now. I am in the "under grown tank" category. I am very happy with my fish selection and they are all doing great. On the coral front, so many corals I want to add to my tank and so little money to buy them with. [emoji16] My wife seems to think spending money on bills, the kids, etc. is more important than filling the tank with corals.... Smh. Slowly but surely the tank is coming along. The nice thing is not being able to buy every coral I want forces patience in the hobby which long term is going to pay off.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done a single WC in 12.5 yrs (smthg I'm very proud of) and I'm completely satisfied with my tank and SPS Acro corals. So a "10"
images.jpg

OP
OP
mike werner

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great responces folks!keep those beautiful tank shots coming as well.

oldfishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a 5 as I am new at coral reef and I have a lot to learn and know I will make mistakes. So far my fish a first corals are doing fine

CarolinaShoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9D538E05-C841-4780-9381-579EC5747373.jpeg
DEFAD3E5-ADA4-49D4-947C-9F9CDDE7937A.jpeg
0B20C91A-D887-4B45-8567-40730717CE9B.gif
9! I absolutely love my tank and can’t wait to see it when it’s grown in after I’ve added the last few chalice I’m looking for. The messy bottom has been cleaned up which helps the aesthetics tenfold.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will we ever be satisfied, a lot of what we do has to do with our mood. Which means that as our mood changes, so does our outlook on our tank. I look at my tank as a way to relax, but as I look at it I see something I would like to change every time.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with an 8. Not because my tank is an 8, but because of the improvements I've seen in the last 2 months. It still needs to do a lot of growing in so I imagine I'll be back down to a 6 in a month or two as the satisfaction from turning the corner on coral growth starts to fade.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. I’ve battled issues in which case I’m not sure where to go from here. Sometimes I think I should drain it and regime the fish. But my dad never would let me quit when things got too difficult. So I’ll keep trudging through, for him and for myself.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my tank is sitting in the garage as I have only had the tank for 2 weeks and redoing the plumbing from the previous owner. Going to be a long wait as I had no clue the costs of lights haha, hopefully will be up and running by December.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you voted 7 - Holy Grail then you MUST share a photo of your tank!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gave a 5 happy with current growth and maintenance level but i haven’t added any corals since doubling my tank size 3 months ago, so looks kinda sparse lol.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say a 5. I have algae issues Corals are very slow to grow etc. I'm also not sure what to do to improve this. it's frustrating & challenging at the same time. So I keep on keepin !

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to say a 5. I have algae issues Corals are very slow to grow etc. I'm also not sure what to do to improve this. it's frustrating & challenging at the same time. So I keep on keepin !
Been there and done that.... LOL.....that's about be all you can do....just keep working at it....it will get better......[emoji6]

Crimson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 5 as well, but almost a 4. Problem with have a 32 gallon is that my parameters change too often causing issues. I know larger is easier (for water stability), been doing this long enough to know that rule. Larger brings up the next issue. Money or there lack of it. I think if I had more money to throw at the hobby I would. This would allow me to do what I have envisioned.

Being divorced and having a daughter to support limits what I can do with my tank and the hobby as a whole. I was close to breaking down the tank but watching my 9 year old name the fish and taking general interest (even the SPS) saves it every time.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a hobby. You can never be 'satisfied' with a hobby, or you're missing the point. If there is nothing to do, no way to improve... it's no longer a hobby.

I've seen magnificent tanks in the homes of well off people who know _NOTHING_ about reefing... they're paying a maintenance company to handle everything, to them, it's just something neat to look at. It's not a hobby, it's an expensive decoration.

Might as well get a DVD of a nice reef, and play it in a loop.

To me, reefing has always been a hobby. I know fishkeepers that think of their finned friends as pets... I guess that's true, in some ways. My pets are my dogs. We've got three, two great Pyrenees, which are absolutely members of the family, and working members of the family, at that. The other is a shih-tzu. Basically, a dust mop that's happy to see you when you get home. Fish? Those are part of my hobby.

A hobby is something you _DO_ for enjoyment. Golf, shooting, hunting, fishing, boating... those are hobbies. Reefkeeping is, as well. I've been at this for a couple of decades now... and I'm still learning, still finding new and better ways to manage my reef. There is ALWAYS something that you could be doing to your reef. After all, that's the point, isn't it?

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a hobby. You can never be 'satisfied' with a hobby, or you're missing the point. If there is nothing to do, no way to improve... it's no longer a hobby.

I've seen magnificent tanks in the homes of well off people who know _NOTHING_ about reefing... they're paying a maintenance company to handle everything, to them, it's just something neat to look at. It's not a hobby, it's an expensive decoration.

Might as well get a DVD of a nice reef, and play it in a loop.

To me, reefing has always been a hobby. I know fishkeepers that think of their finned friends as pets... I guess that's true, in some ways. My pets are my dogs. We've got three, two great Pyrenees, which are absolutely members of the family, and working members of the family, at that. The other is a shih-tzu. Basically, a dust mop that's happy to see you when you get home. Fish? Those are part of my hobby.

A hobby is something you _DO_ for enjoyment. Golf, shooting, hunting, fishing, boating... those are hobbies. Reefkeeping is, as well. I've been at this for a couple of decades now... and I'm still learning, still finding new and better ways to manage my reef. There is ALWAYS something that you could be doing to your reef. After all, that's the point, isn't it?
That is very well said....and you are soooooo right.....if there were nothing else you do.... improve....work on....etc.....it would get boring....and it wouldn't be a great hobby anymore.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back