How screwed im?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this waterbox infinia 190.5 6 months old lps dominant tank. Doing fantastic. However while inspecting the tank very closely saw very tiny spots of algae getting inside the silicon on the corners of the tank. And im losing sleep over it. I have thousands of dollars in that tank. Am i overthinking?

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what you worry about. Tiny bubbles in-between the seams.

Attachments

• 20240203_183826.jpg
    20240203_183826.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what you worry about. Tiny bubbles in-between the seams.
So im fine? But like if algae gets in there wouldnt that means theres a gap for other stuff to get in?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it on the bottom left in your first video. I wouldn’t like that either. If algae is growing, there is water there.
dang. Man what a catastrophic failure! I hate waterbox i have thousands of dollars in that tank.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a seam from a 15 something year old 75 gallon freshwater tank that I took down today just to give it a good overhaul, and I took a pic just now to show you. I thought this was also a good time to reseal this tank as you can see the silicon is in terrible shape. That said, it's been constantly running and holding water all these years to this day, and I got the tank used. Based on this and other tanks I have had, I'd say you're nowhere near "screwed". Algae and other microbes get into the silicon and it doesn't look great (which is why I prefer black silicon over clear), but this is not disastrous in my experience, only unsightly.

IMG_0236.jpeg

Last edited:

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to add I’m certainly not an expert, but I’m paradoïd, lol !
I'm no expert either, but Waterbox is a very well respected tank builder, as far as I can tell, with many R2R members running their tanks. If their tanks were prone to early and catastrophic failure, I think we'd have heard a lot more about it by now. If this is a fairly new tank and you're concerned I'd contact Waterbox to see what they say about it.

I'm not saying your tank can't be the exception, I'm not saying your tank won't get worse, and I'm not telling you to not have a back up plan (think plastic stock tank, etc.). But from my experience, you are not likely to wake up tomorrow with a huge flood, so I don't think you are anywhere near "screwed".

Please do what you feel comfortable with for your livestock. Maybe get a backup solution just in case.

Best of luck with whatever you do!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m an expert and we’re all doomed.

In the meantime may all your seams hold water while you toss and turn expecting them to fail. Do you see the difference?

Only Jesus knows how long your seams will hold, so perhaps post the question to His forum for best results.

The expert is exiting the thread now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back