Waterbox overflow fluctuations.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 months waterbox tank is having fluctuations in the overflow box. The water levels loses the adjustement and it drops. Any idea what could be the issue?

My vectra m2 is running at 65%. And im finding myself adjusting every 2 days. I closed the valve even more yesterday to have more water goes through the emergency and today it dropped.

Its very frustrating issue. Any ides would be appreciated its infinia 190.5 200g

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 months waterbox tank is having fluctuations in the overflow box. The water levels loses the adjustement and it drops. Any idea what could be the issue?

My vectra m2 is running at 65%. And im finding myself adjusting every 2 days. I closed the valve even more yesterday to have more water goes through the emergency and today it dropped.

Its very frustrating issue. Any ides would be appreciated its infinia 190.5 200g
Sounds odd indeed! :)

I am thinking that you either have some restrictions in your down flow pipe; could be a dirty spade in the gate valve?

Either this, or that your return pump not runs constantly on 65%. Check if it's clean!

Do you have any means of measuring your flow? Or your power consumption on your return pump?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds odd indeed! :)

I am thinking that you either have some restrictions in your down flow pipe; could be a dirty spade in the gate valve?

Either this, or that your return pump not runs constantly on 65%. Check if it's clean!

Do you have any means of measuring your flow? Or your power consumption on your return pump?
Idk what restriction that would be. And i do for powert consumption it shows 56 watt. And its stable

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk what restriction that would be. And i do for powert consumption it shows 56 watt. And its stable
Does the water level in your sump fluctuate for whatever reason? This can have an effect on the efficiency of your return pump, change the head pressure and ultimately the flow.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What mechanical filtration do you use? Socks, rolller or something else? When the socks clock up- or the filter fabric on your roller for that matter; theoretically less flow goes through your sump and the sump level drops (because the pump remains on the sale flow rate!).

I doubt it has any measurable effect though but worth keeping in mind. Keep your socks clean! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What mechanical filtration do you use? Socks, rolller or something else? When the socks clock up- or the filter fabric on your roller for that matter; theoretically less flow goes through your sump and the sump level drops (because the pump remains on the sale flow rate!).

I doubt it has any measurable effect though but worth keeping in mind. Keep your socks clean! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Roller

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, from where do you measure your power consumption? :) Apex energy bar?

Anyhow, try and make one small adjustment each day and monitor. Make another adjustment the next day and slowly adjust your way to perfection. Mine is somewhat quiet, but it has never been quite as quiet as i would like it to be.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How minor a drop are we talking? The level in my overflow box changed slightly throughout the day/week, but usually still stays silent...
Idk maybe im over exaggerating. Iv seen it drop like less an inch undet the emergency pipe after it was a trickle. And i was worried that if it keeps dropping. My ato wont run anymore because the more it drops the higher the water level gets in the sump

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, from where do you measure your power consumption? :) Apex energy bar?

Anyhow, try and make one small adjustment each day and monitor. Make another adjustment the next day and slowly adjust your way to perfection. Mine is somewhat quiet, but it has never been quite as quiet as i would like it to be.
I noticed that it goes from 46w-50w is that normal. Yes apex. And it just went to 42w.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that it goes from 46w-50w is that normal. Yes apex. And it just went to 42w.
Mine fluctuates from 60-62w. I would check your pump if it's clean. Take it apart and inspect the impeller.

What pump are you using?

1696266997919.png

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine fluctuates from 60-62w. I would check your pump if it's clean. Take it apart and inspect the impeller.

What pump are you using?

1696266997919.png
Actually looking at apex now. The one thats fluctuating is my Uv pump vectra s2 and not the m2 the m2 is 61w-62w stable. But the vectra s2 uv pump is fluctuating a lot on wattage. Ifk why

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually looking at apex now. The one thats fluctuating is my Uv pump vectra s2 and not the m2 the m2 is 61w-62w stable. But the vectra s2 uv pump is fluctuating a lot on wattage. Ifk why
Then I would have a look at your UV pump! :) If it runs faster/slower, then your water level will rise and fall.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would have a look at your UV pump! :) If it runs faster/slower, then your water level will rise and fall.
The UV is a closed loop system not connected to my return pump. But the intake and outake. Are definitely in the didplay itself they are seperate system. Can it still causee fluctuation?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk maybe im over exaggerating. Iv seen it drop like less an inch undet the emergency pipe after it was a trickle. And i was worried that if it keeps dropping. My ato wont run anymore because the more it drops the higher the water level gets in the sump
That's fine.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV is a closed loop system not connected to my return pump. But the intake and outake. Are definitely in the didplay itself they are seperate system. Can it still causee fluctuation?
Yes, it still can!

Imagine your pump speed fluctuates but your gate valve remains the same. More/less water is pumped from your sump into the display- but the same amount of water will drain back in to the sump.

This will cause changes in your display- and your sump level. The overall volume of water remains the same.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have a think whether you're overthinking this though :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: If it really bothers you- and if really is an issue, it is worth looking in to!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line: if the water in the overflow box isn't so high or low that it makes unwanted noise, it doesn't matter if it fluctuates. Mine goes from trickling to being below the emergency drain and as long as it's within the "quiet" range, I don't worry about it.

Every time you turn the return pump down or off (for feeding, etc), the system might need to be adjusted depending on if anything (food, algae, random crud) is blocking the main drain grate, if something WAS blocking it but has now been dislodged, if there's any similar restriction on your pump intake, if other parts of your equipment have minor changes, etc.

It's not an exact science.

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Isolate the problem one thing at a time. (btw I have a WB infinia 190.5):

1) turn off your powerheads --see if the oveflow level still oscillates. Leave power heads off for a half hour or so --set an alarm on your phone....do not forget to turn them back on!). They may be splashing water down an E drain that is too close the the height of the overflow weir. You may need to modify your E drain and main drain. Both are off and (IMHO) should be modified on stock WB overflows. It is possible that a main drain (if too high) is sucking in bubbles from surface cavitation. This will build in the drain until the air is purged. Take a look at your where your drain enters your sump. (on your roller or wherever). Are there air bubbles collecting on it? Listen closely to your drain line pipe --do you here any nosie in it? That noise is turbulence and air.

2) set your roller to a minimum advance length to avoid large fluctuations in the roller water level. (less likely the problem).

3) make sure return pump output is constant. (as comments above suggest). I was worried about this issue with mine, but turned out not to be the issue.

4) sump water fluctuations due to skimmer, evaporation, etc. This you can isolate by turning skimmer off for a bit. Correct water level evaporation in return chamber by ATO directly into return section.

My $$$ is on step one as the issue....E drain too low and Main drain too high (main drain is sucking air when turbulence occurs and then is cyclically self purging causing water level in overflow to cycle heights every 10 minutes or so).

Let me know if this helps! My build thread has my mods.
-david

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back