How should I dispose of old rock and palys?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a tank that I am shutting down. I have gotten everything out of this tank that I want to keep and the rock, sand, and palys all need to go. I have actually never shut a reef down. Only FOWLR tanks. So I am wondering what the best method would be to get rid of live palythoa and basically everything else in the tank? It sounds cruel but these are not corals I want to keep or can find a new owner for. However, I do not think it would be fair to anyone handling my garbage to throw them out because I fear the toxins. What should I do?

Shoot maybe I can just throw them in the fuge I suppose... But I am all ears right now!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience but CDC site says:

Palytoxin can be neutralized by soaking the coral for 30 minutes in a ≥0.1% household bleach solution (1 part 5%–6% sodium hypochlorite [household bleach] to 10 parts water, prepared fresh)

...from here:

Palytoxin

*NOTE -- I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the above information

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hey all,
I have a tank that I am shutting down. I have gotten everything out of this tank that I want to keep and the rock, sand, and palys all need to go. I have actually never shut a reef down. Only FOWLR tanks. So I am wondering what the best method would be to get rid of live palythoa and basically everything else in the tank? It sounds cruel but these are not corals I want to keep or can find a new owner for. However, I do not think it would be fair to anyone handling my garbage to throw them out because I fear the toxins. What should I do?

Shoot maybe I can just throw them in the fuge I suppose... But I am all ears right now!
Bleach soak.
2-3 cups of bleach in 5 gallons of water, outside and let it soak for 48 hrs. Anything left, do it again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back