How slow should I pace salinity increase?

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer to the hobby and am quickly learning how unreliable the Apex salinity probe is. Even after careful calibration, it was still underreporting around 3-4ppt. :( I have been slowly trying to lower the salinity over the past few days, but with evaporation on a 150gal tank, it's taking a lot longer. Right now, I am just removing 2-3 gallons of tank water and replacing with RODI water. I am at about 1.0275 and am trying to get it to 1.025. I like 1.025 because where I get the majority of my coral from at the LFS, they keep theirs at 1.025.

How big would a .002sg swing be on a 150gal tank?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first check this out so you don't overshoot anything:

After that, I would plan on lowering it over the course of a week.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~ 2 hours
Reasonable salinity changes should take no longer than it would take to acclimate a new specimen to your tank. You are simply acclimating everything in the tank at once.
The trick with a whole system is to make sure you give the water time to completely mix before you do each test so you dont get a false reading and overshoot your target.

OP
OP
mbarber87

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first check this out so you don't overshoot anything:

After that, I would plan on lowering it over the course of a week.
Hey where in VA are you located? I am in SW-VA region!

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Ned, I have made those changes over the course of a day or a couple hours many times. I'd like to say though, a SG of 1.027 is totally fine. Salinity on many reefs can be higher than where a lot of us keep our systems at.

OP
OP
mbarber87

mbarber87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Ned, I have made those changes over the course of a day or a couple hours many times. I'd like to say though, a SG of 1.027 is totally fine. Salinity on many reefs can be higher than where a lot of us keep our systems at.
100% agree. It obviously could be a number of other factors as well, but my Zoanthids in particular seem to do SO much better (in terms of size) with 1.025 compared to 1.027

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mbarber87 the site that @andrewey points you to has a lot of great calculators including one that shows the change in concentration using water changes so you can figure out roughly how much RODI you need to use to dilute. The overall salinity change is about 3ppt which isn’t huge, and I think replacing a few gallons with RODI every couple of hours will get you there pretty easily.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree. It obviously could be a number of other factors as well, but my Zoanthids in particular seem to do SO much better (in terms of size) with 1.025 compared to 1.027

That's fine then. Every system is different. You're right it could be many things, including if it swung up fast or other parameters are too high in your system at that salinity. But still, if it's better at 1.025 that's what matters.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer to the hobby and am quickly learning how unreliable the Apex salinity probe is. Even after careful calibration, it was still underreporting around 3-4ppt. :( I have been slowly trying to lower the salinity over the past few days, but with evaporation on a 150gal tank, it's taking a lot longer. Right now, I am just removing 2-3 gallons of tank water and replacing with RODI water. I am at about 1.0275 and am trying to get it to 1.025. I like 1.025 because where I get the majority of my coral from at the LFS, they keep theirs at 1.025.

sg = 1.0275 is not very high at all and there is no need to rush it down.

My target would be 1.0264, which is equivalent to 35 ppt seawater, but I can see the benefit to matching an LFS even if their salinity is a bit low.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe you should rescue them from the ocean! lol

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will second the notion that moving 3 ppt is no big deal and can be done in 2 hours, and 35 ppt is the target used by most long time reefers.

How did you get your reading which you believe is more accurate?

Also awesome article on the whole topic here:

Refractometers and Salinity Measurement

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back