• Once fish stocking is nearly done

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Right now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Once nutrients get "high"

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I'm setting up a new tank. My old tank didn't have a skimmer because there wasn't room in the sump for it. How soon should I consider adding the skimmer in or should I wait until I start seeing nutrient levels getting up there?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Start oxygenation right away. I was gonna say oxidation but idk what one is the right word. Lol! Happy reefing.
S
I'm not sure either, but I'm pretty sure oxygenation is right. Oxidation I think is what you get when you dose Hydrogen Peroxide.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until your bio filter is firmly established. Contrary to popular belief, 99% of the oxygenation in your tank occurs at the surface, not in the skimmer.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what do I do with the cat once it's skinned?
Cat sushi? Bad joke. I love my cat.
As some one else stated turn it on now at least to oxygenate the water. If there is no protein, bio waste there it isn't going to do anything but make bubbles. You will be surprised how quickly there will be proteins. Reef On

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will pick up silicate and light sand particles as well depending in the skimmer foam and how much water it makes contact with. Lol.
I don't believe they are just for DOC or mine wouldn't be pulling all the green algae particles out.
D

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe don't? Try a refugium first. Save a ton of money
I was planning on a refugium and a skimmer. Not 100% sure yet, but I'm going with a 125 and want something like a 40 breeder minimum for the sump. I'm thinking I'll put the skimmer in the first chamber of the sump unless I get a 4 chamber and then I'll put it in the second chamber and have the third as a refugium.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on a refugium and a skimmer. Not 100% sure yet, but I'm going with a 125 and want something like a 40 breeder minimum for the sump. I'm thinking I'll put the skimmer in the first chamber of the sump unless I get a 4 chamber and then I'll put it in the second chamber and have the third as a refugium.

I usually say add the skimmer later if needed since a refugium can handle a lot more than people give them credit for and for less money (plus you can often sell the macro algae).

PS I am jealous I want a 125 lol

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I usually say add the skimmer later if needed since a refugium can handle a lot more than people give them credit for and for less money (plus you can often sell the macro algae).

PS I am jealous I want a 125 lol
I have another one in my garage. Come pick it up! Or the 110 lobster tank. I've got a 90 drilled if you'd prefer that one?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until your bio filter is firmly established. Contrary to popular belief, 99% of the oxygenation in your tank occurs at the surface, not in the skimmer.

that was very interesting, thank you for sharing. But the article doesnt compare surface oxygenation to a skimmer, in fact, the article makes no mention at all of a skimmer, and is geared toward freshwater hobby, not saltwater.

To the OP, honestly, without knowing the tank size, or what you plan to keep, its hard to suggest a skimmer or not. For example, a 10-15-20 gallon tank can be manged with water changes, no need for skimmer. If you have a fish only tank, no need for a skimmer.

If you do get a skimmer, I suggest to get one right away, try it out, get the bugs out, learn how to fidget with it, and take it apart and clean it. Why wait until the tank is full of water and full of fish to start playing around with the machinery and putting hands in the tank and needlessly stressing fish?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
that was very interesting, thank you for sharing. But the article doesnt compare surface oxygenation to a skimmer, in fact, the article makes no mention at all of a skimmer, and is geared toward freshwater hobby, not saltwater.

To the OP, honestly, without knowing the tank size, or what you plan to keep, its hard to suggest a skimmer or not. For example, a 10-15-20 gallon tank can be manged with water changes, no need for skimmer. If you have a fish only tank, no need for a skimmer.

If you do get a skimmer, I suggest to get one right away, try it out, get the bugs out, learn how to fidget with it, and take it apart and clean it. Why wait until the tank is full of water and full of fish to start playing around with the machinery and putting hands in the tank and needlessly stressing fish?
Makes sense. Sorry, I mentioned in a later response that it is a 125 that I'm wanting a 40 breeder minimum for a sump. I have a Curve 6 Skimmer already (as well as an Aquatop and another brand I forget right now, but planning on using the Curve). I haven't yet set the tank up so it's still in the "planning" phase, just was curious on people's experiences/opinions on when to start running the skimmer. I know over skimming can strip the nutrients so I was curious if slimming before the nutrients get to a certain level would also cause then to bottom out. It will be a reef tank with love sand and live rock, with a mix of SPS/LPS/Mushrooms.

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add a skimmer after I get fish in the tank. But don’t really dial the skimmer in until after a month or so with full bio load. Just me

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back